What's new

Sony DVD bass problem? (1 Viewer)

C

ChrisRC

I am looking to buy a new DVD player with Progressive scan. I have a Sony TV (57wv700) and a Sony receiver (STRDE985). I have heard that the Sony DVD players put out lackluster low end. Is this true? I am using an Apex AD/600a right now, so anything is an improvement at this point. I was looking at the 655 changer, but if the low end (bass) is horrible, then I would like to get some other recommendations. Opinions? I would like to stay at $300 and under, so please keep that in mind if making other recommendations.

Thanks,

Chris

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Chris,

Bass response is not determined by the dvd player--you're sending a digital bitstream signal to your reciever and that's gonna be the same from any player.

What you may have heard may have been referring to the performance of the player's built-in DD decoder, if any, but you won't be using that.

C

ChrisRC

Thanks for the FAST response Steve.

I thought it was ridiculous too when I first read it. Since so much has changed since I last sold Audio/Video, I figured I should just check with some people in the know. In case you were wondering where I was reading that, I saw it in a few epinions.com reviews. The other reason I gave it some weight is, Sony tape decks used to be notorious for poor low end, at least when I sold them they were. So, I figured I should just make sure before purchasing one of their DVD players. I normally dont buy anything Sony but TV's, but I got the receiver at a good deal, and I couldnt afford the Onkyo I wanted at the time. Are there any other brands you can recommend in the $300 price range, that you would choose over Sony for a DVD changer? I am open to anything, except for the Panasonics. Their remotes and front panel controls give me 80's flashbacks.

Thanks,

Chris

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree with the above post, I do not believe that all players that pass a digital bitstream sound the same. It's not like the player is passing 1's and 0's right from the soundtrack, it's more in depth than that, I believe. Anybody want to chime in here and add some light to this. BTW, I have a Panasonic RP-56 and I could swear that soundtracks are weaker on this unit than my old Toshiba 2108!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had 3 Toshiba, 2 Sony, 1 JVC, and 2 Panasonic players. First thing I do after connecting up a new player is run an AVIA video and audio calibration.

Never had to change any audio settings, sub levels, anything to do with audio.

This is not to say it's beyond the realm of possibility for a player to affect sound from it's digital output, just my experience with the players I've tried so far.

I really like my Panny C72, but agree the remote, while perfectly functional, is a nasty cheap thing that's even uncomfortable to hold. The performance of the player is top-notch however.

My first progressive player, a JVC XVS80BK, has a bit lower picture quality
especially on video based material. JVC's current models are basically unchanged. The JVC has some picture adjustment features the Panny lacks, as well as scaling for properly flagged nonanamorphic discs. It's remote is a good bit nicer than Panny's, with less crowded buttons with clearer labelling, and it's user interface as far as onscreen displays and such is also better imho. The JVC also, like the Panasonics, doesn't have the chroma bug.

If you're looking for a good versatile progressive scan player at a low price that has lots of features and at least decent picture quality I think the JVC is a good alternative to the Panasonics.

C

ChrisRC

Steve,

So the Sony changers have the Chroma bugs? I am just learning about what it is, but I must say I can notice it using my Apex AD/600a. That is enough to get me to stay away from the Sony players. I will look at the JVC, and also one of the Yamahas my friend keeps touting to me. I dont know the model, but I'm sure with a phonecall he would be GLAD to tell me all about it. I actually thought that Chroma stuff was some kind of screen burn or something. I left a static DVD menu running the other night for about an hour, and thought maybe I caused some burn, thankfully after 20 minutes of staring, I can say it didnt. Thats another question. I dont have an Avia disc, but I used the THX calibrator with the 8 white boxes to set it. Basicly the color setting is about 10 bars or so, and the bright and picture controls are set right about the middle, give or take a bar or two, running in "Movie" mode, with the color temp set to "warm". Is this about where a Sony RPTV should be set to avoid burn?

Thanks,

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks