Sony Dream Systems run hot?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Tomaskovic, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

A friend from work bought one of the Sony Dream Systems (not sure which model) all in one - receiver, dvd player, speakers. When placed in their entertainment cabinet, he says it gets very hot - so hot you can't touch it without being burned. I recommended that he lower the shelf to give more ventilation between the top of the unit and the shelf above it, but I'm surprised it would run that hot. Maybe a full sized 5ES, but not one of these? He says it has a small fan inthe rear and the manual warns it can get hot, but still I'm surprised.

Any one else familiar with these units? Is it possible there is a problem with their unit. They bought it at a local Tweeter so returning shouldn't be a problem. Thanks

2. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Nothing electronic should ever run that hot! Warm to the touch is fine, but if you cannot comfortably keep your hand on it, it is too hot.
    It obviously needs better ventilation, or it may even be a defective unit. It is especially important to keep a unit like that cool, as it has moving parts, and you put your valuable CD's and DVD's inside of it! The motors and bearings will not like that kind of heat, and neither will your DVD's.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Does "all in one" also mean toaster oven? [​IMG]

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The amps inside the Sony system could be fully biased into Class A operation and that is why it might be getting so hot. Just kidding[​IMG].
    I think its definetly a ventilation issue. Give it more breathing room. And if possible find another place for the grill underneath or at least unplug it. Kidding again![​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not much of a dream is it?

Ventilation will not solve the problem, but it will help. The fact is, with everything built into one unit, there are more things generating heat, so heat will almost certainly be an issue. Running that hot means to me: "will not last long". The amp section is probably running at the limit of it's capabilty.

Does this system have a powered sub or a passive one? Running a passive sub off the internal amps could account for quite a bit of heat in the amp section.