Sony Drc System : What Do You Think About It ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thierry Sainte-Catherine, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Thierry Sainte-Catherine

HDTV is not for tomorrow in France [​IMG]
    I plan to buy a 32" or 36" TV set. As far as i can read here, it's a small screen size, but in france, sure we consider it as a big one !!!.
    I was wondering about the Sony DRC system.
    Is there really a visible difference on a 32" or 36" sceen due to this DRC ? Especially when you look at movies from a dvd player ?
    With DRC enabled, is there any visible difference between a dvd player with a progessive scan and one with a interlaced scan ?
    Does DRC worth it, or it is sony marketing ?
    Toshiba makes good TV set also, but more affordable than the sony's. What is your preference between those ?
    Thank you for your opinion.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    From what i hear, Sonys DRC is pretty poor compard to toshibas.
    Sony's DRC is basically a line doubler, whereas the Toshiba's ISDCPro uses Interpolation, whihc is a digital computer program that takes pixels and 'sorts out' the good video from the bad. So when it upconverts it, youll only get the good video, whreas sonys will upconvert everything, noise and all from your basic cable and DSS programming...
    More on interpolation and its use in Digital Imaging:
    http://www.dtp-aus.com/interpol.htm
    Heres a question: How often do you see Sony TVs in showrooms demoing Cable/Satellite Feeds?

3. Michael St. Clair

Current DRC has 3 modes:

1) Stupid doubler (progressive)

2) 960i interlaced doubler

3) Cinemotion progressive 3:2 pulldown doubler

The Tosh doubler may beat mode 1, but mode 3 is great for movies (I've tested it, it works very good but sometimes loses cadence on fast scenes...still, a very good internal doubler), and mode 2 is fantastic for stuff shot on video (sports, news).

I use a progressive DVD player, and the internal doubler for everything else. Overall, it is damned good.

4. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

I find that DRC does a very good job -
    But the quality you get out of it greatly depends uppon the quality of the source you feed it. Crappy cable is going to look almost worse after running through DRC....But if you feed it DVD, the image is absolutely stunning - It's very difficult to tell any difference between DRC and a progressive scan DVD player (if you're using Cinemotion mode. And like Michael said, 960i is great for video source material.
    If you want more info about Sony sets in general, check out the Sony yahoogroup website here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/
    Sincerely,
    -Ryan Dinan

5. Michael St. Clair

I find cable to look good through the DRC, but my local Time Warner has a very good signal.
    Also, to judge cable on a Sony HD set, you MUST turn sharpness all the way down and put the set into PRO or MOVIE mode (PRO kills SVM, MOVIE reduces it greatly).

6. Thierry Sainte-Catherine

Thanks all of you