What's new

Sony Direct View vs Plasma (1 Viewer)

Jeff Calla

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm a complete newby at this so please be patient. My father is interested in getting a new TV ~34 inches and I have been chosen to help him . The TVs we have in mind are:

Sony KV-34XBR800 34" 16:9 FD Trinitron Wega XBR TV

OR

Sony KE-32TS2 32" 16:9 Plasma TV

The plasma is being considered due to the size/weight of the
direct view TV.

I will go out on a limb and assume that there aren't any problems with the direct view. I'm a bit more concerned about the Plasma though. I haven't read any reviews about this TV either good or bad.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
AS far as I understand, the Sony Plasmas are quite a ways behind as far as PQ goes. Sony may be a good name in Direct View, but not great in Plasmas. I am not familiar with the 32" plasmas, so I can't offer much more than that. In teh 42" and 50" world, Pioneer, Panasonic & Hitachi are commonly regarded as the most excellent plasma manufacturers. I have heard some buzz as well about the newest Samsungs.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, for whatever it's worth I saw a new Sony plasma in a store recently and I remember thinking to myself "wow, that picture looks really nice". That was just my first impression though and not an in depth review. :)

Dan.B

Dan Mastro

Agent
i have had a 32" sony about 5 months now, and we all love it. no problems with set and picture sure looks good to us.
dan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Sony direct view is one of the best direct view sets on the market. I’ve not looked at Sony plasmas recently, but at this time last year I was more impressed with the sets mentioned by Dave—especially the Pioneer ‘Elite’ series.

I have the Sony KE-50XBR900 Plasma and the PQ is excellent. I get really tired of hearing that Sony Plasma's are crap and way behind other manufactures.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks