What's new

Sony Digital Reality Creation (1 Viewer)

MichaelM

Agent
Hello. I have a Sony 30" Widescreen HDTV with DRC (Digital REality Creation). You can select from 3 different modes: DRC Progressive, DRC Interlaced, and DRC Cinemotion. Apparently, DRC is supposed to "upconvert" analog signals to "near high-def quality". And true, some analog signals look better than I've ever seen them look (like with my VCR, for example). But when I flip through the different DRC modes I don't see a difference from one to the next. None whatsoever. Does anyone else have this on their TV? Do you notice a difference? I can go from DRC Interlaced to DRC Cinemotion and not see a difference at all. Not even a slight change in color or anything. Should I see a difference? Or am I expecting something from this that I shouldn't?

Thanks.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

I don't think this is exactly what is going on. As far as I know, DRC is simply Sony's own in-house deinterlacing chip. As to the difference between CineMotion and Progressive, someone else may be better able to answer that question... I used to know (back when I was researching my Sony), but I forgot exactly what the difference is.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Progressive would mean straight 480p (like Video Mode), Interlaced would mean in effect 960i (still progressive but the 480 scan lines are presented interlaced), and Cinemotion would mean 480p (Film with 3:2 pulldown or reverse 3:2 pulldown)....

Sort of spectulation, but pretty sure on it.

John S

Senior HTF Member
PS: As far as the difference goes, very subtle indeed...

And it's usefullness will be very dependent on source / content.

The most easily seen difference would probably come from using either of the other two Progressive or Interlaced with a not so great transfered movie running. You will see shimmers on long tight blinds in windows and/or jaggies on long diagonal lines or circles.

The difference between 480p and 960i, is way way subtle. I would assume also that the setting may be over ridden by film ques from the DVD itself and force cinema mode.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
John S is right:

interlaced=960i

progressive=480p

cinemotion=480p with 3/2 pulldown applied as needed for film sources.

I have a Sony HD-capable rptv with the same settings and can also comment that I've never seen any significant difference. They all do a pretty decent job.

I've used a Panny progressive scan player with Faroudja chip connected both via component for progressive scan output and also by S-video. My reason for this was that the receiver I had at the time would not do onscreen display via component and I wanted access to it during AVIA audio calibration sessions.

I often would put in a regular movie dvd after tweaking my audio and get halfway thru it without noticing that the tv was still on the S-video input and not displaying progressive scan via component.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since we're discussing the circuitry in a Sony monitor, why don't we do it in the Display Devices area! Thread moved.

MichaelM

Agent
Thanks for the input. The only i'm still confused about is what exactly 3/2 pulldown and 3/2 reverse pulldown are.

Also, someone mentioned the Avia disk. I bought the other popular one (can't remember the name off the top of my head for some reason). Is the Avia better? I've heard conflicting reviews.

Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
This is probably covered somewhere.. But film and video run at different frame rates. Video = 24 frames per second, and film runs at 30 frames persecond.

Displays are video, so 3:2 pull down is how it evens out the difference. Other wise some frames would just be dropped / not displayed at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks