What's new

Sony Digital Camcorders (1 Viewer)

David Kel

Auditioning
I hope this is the right place to ask this, but I want some opinions from someone much more knowledgable than myself. I'm looking at purchasing a Sony digital camcorder and think I have it narrowed down to two models. I'm looking at the DCR-TRV840 and the DCR-TRV33.

The 840 is Digital8 while the 33 is MiniDV. I can get the 840 for $800+$50'ish tax and free shipping. I can get the 33 for $800 no tax and free shipping and free carrying case. The 840 has a higher zoom capability and a 3 1/2" LCD while the 33 has a 2 1/2" LCD.

If anyone knows much about these two models or maybe even one that might better suit my needs, please let me know. I'm looking for one with the 1 Megapixel still shot capability and going with the Sony because I definitely want the NightShot. Thanks for any help you can offer.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I'd go for the MiniDV because the camcorder itself is much smaller and lighter (something you will grow to appreciate over time) and it probably has a better lens than the 840.

Josey M

Agent
Hi David,
Good luck on those cameras.
I bought the Sony mini DV27 for christmas and still playing around with it.
But i do like the 3.5 screen and the pixela image maker it has.
HGTV last night did their show on NEW electronics from Las Vegas and Sony has a camcorder now that captures the image right to the DVD in the Camcorder. Alot of choices out there.
Again good luck to you. Maybe someone will chime in and steer you better than me. I'm still confused about this digital reveloution. LOL.

:) Good Luck :emoji_thumbsup: Josey

marc

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Dave,

I just bought the DCR-PC101 and love it. I did look at the trv-27, but liked the size of the 101. So far so good. Little pricey, but very small and full of goodies.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I bought the 840 specifically because it plays analog Hi-8 tapes. This is a benefit for me because I still own an old Sony Hi-8 and I have many Hi-8 tapes laying around. Now, I can run these tapes on the 840 directly to my Sony desktop via firewire and they become digital tapes, ready for editing and burning.

I recommend the 840 or the cheaper 740 for those who have old Hi-8 tapes and have a desire to make them digital. Otherwise, get yourself a digital camera. Tape is definitely on its way out.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Thomas:

Sorry I wasn't clear. It was very late.

I meant get a miniDV as Hi-8 and VHS-C tape are on their way out.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I got the TRV 27 last month at Sears for a good price. The PC101 was my choice but the funds fell short. I like this camcorder, especially the manual white balance adjustment u can pick on the fly. Nice to have that when moving from a well lit area to somewhat darker indoors shot.

David Kel

Auditioning
Well, thanks for the comments. I went ahead and ordered the PC101. I really hope I'm happy with it. I'm probably just more nervous than anything else with making such a large purchase, especially after reading some reviews on the web about Sony's questionable service.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to receiving the PC101.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks