Sony Demonstrates 999 in London

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I just heard from some industry friends that Sony has demonstrated the 999ES player at the London HiFi show to great effect.
    There were some reports that Sony discontinued this new model which I never believed but now we know for sure. So much for certain posts on Audio Asylum.
    I am very much looking forward to this one when it comes out.
    [​IMG]

2. Greg Hamilton

Greg Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Very interested.. Keep us posted. -gh

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, thanks for the info. I too read the rumor on Audio Asylum about Sony dropping the 'NS999ES. Good to hear that the 'NS999ES is still in the works, though I'll believe it when I see it. [​IMG]

4. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

I see that Widescreen has a short blurb about the 999 in the new issue. Does that could as verification? It includes a picture a list price of $1200.

5. Greg Hamilton

Joe, Which issue of 'Widescreen Review'?

6. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

This is the DVD/SACD player due out in Oct?

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Piers, yes. The DVP-NS999ES will replace the 'S9000ES. The 'NS999ES will play multi-channel SACD tracks.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Greg Hamilton

Lee, would it be possible to post the specs (all details). -gh

10. Greg Hamilton

Hey,

I got the manual for the DVP-NS999ES from Sony. 1Meg PDF. Anybody interested?. -gh

11. Greg Hamilton

Some excerpts from the manual:

Adjusting the picture items in "Memory"

You can adjust each element of the picture quality individually.

~DVE (digital video enhancer): sharpens or softens the outlines of the images: "Soft" is available only for DVDs.

~BNR (block noise reduction): Reduces "block noise" or mosaic like patterns in the picture.

~YNR (luminance noise reduction): Reduces noise contained in the luminance element of the video signal.

~CNR (chroma noise reduction): Reduces noise contained in the color element of the video signal.

~Chroma Delay: Adjusts colors that appear to have shifted horizontally.

~AV Alignment: Adjusts delay between the picture and sound.

~Progressive 1: Sets a threshold at which the player determines the progressive conversion method. When "Component Out" in "Screen Setup" is set to "Progressive," the player automatically detects whether the software is video based of film based, and converts the video signals in the corresponding progressive conversion method. When the set point is closer to "Video," the video based software conversion is more likely to be selected; when closer to "Film," the film based conversion is the likely choice. When set specifically to "Video," the video based software conversion will be always applied regardless of the software type.

~Progressive 2: Adjusts the progressive video signals processed under the video based software conversion. Set close to "Still" for software containing static pictures such as scenery. Or, set closer to "Move" for software containing dynamic moving picture such as a car chase.

~Picture: Changes the contrast.

~Brightness: Changes the overall brightness.

~Color: Make the colors deeper or lighter.

~Hue: Changes the color balance.

~Gamma: Adjusts the brightness of selected areas.

It looks like you can change the 'Command Mode' on the back of the player. This is a slide switch (1,2 or 3) for folks that have multiple Sony players. BTW - the supplied remote has an LCD screen.

It also has 'Operation Sound Effects' that can be turned off for things like an audible beep when pressing play..etc.

As expected, the LCD and lights can be dimmed or turned off.

Speaker are selectable as normal, small or none.

Just a taste of the information available in the manual. -gh

12. Piers C

Keith - thanks for the confirmation.

Greg - I would love to see the manual is it possible to email me the material?

13. Greg Hamilton

Maybe I'm going a little overboard here.. but as far as technology goes ---> I'm still using my DVPS7000 player.

More cool stuff..

The player is capable of displaying which layer your on (on a dual layer DVD).

It has the video bitrate and audio rate meter.

Changeable speaker settings for DVD and SACD (both can be adjusted seperately). Distance (in .25ft increments) / Size (small, large or none) / Level (in .5dB increments) are parameter here. TestTone is available with the player (though not in the digital outputs). Cut off frequency for the sub is fixed @ 120hz.

The audio and video specifications indicate certain things are slightly better than the 9000ES. And it's heavier than the 9000ES half the weight of the 9000es. Not that this means much.. but I know how some folks like these numbers.

14. Piers C

Greg,

Thanks for the material!

Isn't this lighter than 9000ES? Its 14.2 pounds, wasn't the 9000ES more? Sorry, I may be wrong about that I just recall that the 9000ES was a tank!

This is a stupid question, but is it an issue/problem that the cut off is fixed at 120hz?

Have you heard anything on sound quality/performance of SACD/CD on the 999es?

15. Greg Hamilton

Piers C,

You are absolutely right about the weight. I was comparing it to the DVP 900. My bad.. The 999ES is half the weight of the 9000ES. Interesting. -gh

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,

The Arcam DV27 is supposed to be an excellent DVD player, with quality CD playback to boot. Is this the player you are looking at?

Piers,

No problem.

Greg,

Thanks for posting all the good information about the 'NS999ES. It sounds like a good unit, though I am disappointed by the weight spec. Most of Sony's ES SACD players have been tanks, including the 'S9000ES. It weighs in around 27.5 lbs.

17. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Greg,

The October 2002 issue, page 33 is the one.

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gosh, darn, Joe beat me to it. The pic of the machine was a bit dark, and so it was hard to make out much detail. It looks sexy, but not as cool from an industrial design standpoint as the 9000ES.

The specs, though, along with the build quality—well, it could be your last main player for a long time.

19. Piers C

Joe & Jack,
    Sorry you guys lost me - what publication & picture are you referencing? I'm a bit slow...[​IMG]

20. Piers C

....I assume Wide Screen?