Sony delays some Blu-ray titles, removes others

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Walter Kittel, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

2. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

Makes me less and less want to buy BluRay. The non-commitment from every studios and delays upon delays on the players, high price of the player, they all make me wonder... are they even serious in releasing this thing?

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

According to a recent "Sound and Vision" article, the Blu-ray camp is marshalling their forces for an all-out consumer blitz in November. In their opinion that's when the real war will begin.

They're hoping that a rapid assault with all their "Big Guns" blazing (players from four different hardware manufacturers; Playstation III debut; major titles released exclusively to Blu-ray from Columbia, MGM, Disney, and Fox) will lead to a quick and decisive victory for Blu-ray resulting in a single HD optical format by as early as Spring of 2007.

It remains to be seen if this strategy will work.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Of course it is completely your decision as to which format to buy (or both or neither), but it is certainly premature to believe that after all of the money, time and effort that has gone into research, getting several manufacturers and studios to get on board, plus the marketing effort so far, to believe that there is a combined decision to not be seirous.

Get serious! [​IMG]

5. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Interesting. It makes me wonder what the marketing strategy will be between August (when presumably both a limited number of titles and the Sony and Samsung players are out) and November.

7. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I guess it's just best to wait for Playstation 3 now,as my first Blue-Ray player.

I can wait an extra 2 months and save about $400

8. Kelly Grannell

IF they don't delay it again... because it seems like the pattern with BD, especially PS3. delay upon delay upon delay upon delay ad nauseum.

9. Lew Crippen

From a Robert Crawford post in another thread:

That would not fit my defination of “delay upon delay upon delay upon delay ad nauseum.”

No doubt the PS3 has been delayed—but then, its primary function is as a game machine, not as a way to watch movies in HD. Well and good for those who choose to do so, but to base the Blu-Ray roll out on a game machine does not seem to be a reasonable criterium.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Why? It seems to make perfect sense.

11. Lew Crippen

Because Blu-Ray will not only be on the market well before the game machine (PS3), they will be on the market even if no BD game machine makes the market at all.

Further, companies that do not produce game machines will manufacture Blu-Ray players. And finally, studios and likely other companies who do not make games will release movies on BD.

Therefore the Blu-Ray roll out is not dependent on the timing of a game machine.

QED

12. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I agree with your logic, but I do see claims from some BD supporters that the PS3 is supposedly the "killer hardware" that will win the format war.

13. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Good points. They really don't need PS3 for a roll out of the format, but they do need PS3 to gain rapid market penetration and acceptance of Blu-ray as a viable format. They are not going to reach the economies of scale required by relying on standalone BD players. They need the PS3 for that

14. Lew Crippen

Perhaps it is—and even if it is not, I’m sure that it won’t hurt.

But my opinion is that we won’t know for quite a while—and in any case, if the success of Blu-Ray (compared to HD-DVD) is largely dependent on the success of a game machine, then the supposed advantages of Blu-Ray such as larger storage and more studio support don’t count for very much.

For sure I have no idea what is in the minds of the consumer base who is likely to purchase HD players of any type, but I am sure that those of us who follow this kind of thing closely are not representative—and I suspect that the gaming public who can afford the money for that machine and is interested in HD movies is not representative either.

Then again, I’m writing this as I watch the World Cup and my logic may off because of the distraction.

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

It's the main reason my interests has been in HD-DVD, that I still feel will be the winner. Blue Ray seems like it's still in the development phase. When Has a Sony Backed Format ever worked ? It's unfortunate because their formats are usually top notch, but their marketing, planning etc Sucks. Hey I still have a closet of Betamax tapes, man that was a great format. Oh well.

16. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard

That makes sense and I believe sums up the situation very well.

Chris

17. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Off the top of my head: CDs, digital audio, portable music players, and advanced CRTs.

18. Kelly Grannell

Sony's version of a CD is actually 12" in diameter, it was Philips' idea to reduce it to 5".

Digital Audio: I don't believe (maybe I'm wrong) that PCM was a Sony proprietary format

Portable Music Players: it's only about miniaturixation, not a format

Advanced CRT: it's also not a format.

19. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

More like SPDIF, without which we might not be listening to digital surround sound.

As to the other items, those are just example as to where Sony has been the major force behind advancing the technology. Arguably, you could include console gaming and DV in that as well.

20. Kelly Grannell

before S/PDIF there are several proprietary standards as well. There's also TOSLINK, and AES/EBU, ADAT/IF. Any of those can also pass digital surround sound, and they are all better than S/PDIF.

let's see other formats that's considered as failure (due to non support by Sony themselves):

MD
    Hi-MD
    microMV
    D8
    various versions of memory cards (MS, MS-DUO, MS-DUO PRO, etc)

there are more format failures than success coming from Sony.

I really do want BD to prevail, but it's not looking good. Especially now that HD-A1 have dropped in price to US$400. By the end of the year it will drop to around $300 whereas by the end of the year BD players will drop from their $1,300 ish average to no lower than $1,000. It doesn't matter how good it is, it's not 330% better than HD DVD.