What's new

Sony ddw660 DOA? (1 Viewer)

JohnDinVirginia

Auditioning
Hi all, thanks for this great place to post a question. Just bought the Sony ddw660 HTIB and I think its messed up. Havn't had time to actually hook up a dolby source but when listening to FM or CD the surround speakers sound weird when I hold them up to my ear. I have it on Dolby Pro Logic 2. The speakers, when held to my ear, sound like the music is there but also a very noticable electronic white noise. Is it my system or is it a funciton of the Dolby PL2 and its supposed to sound weird when held up to my ear.
Thanks in advance for helping me.
John

John S

Senior HTF Member
I certainly would not judge how the rear skeakers are doing from a CD or FM.. These are not surround sound formats.

Hook a stereo hi-fi VCR up or Stereo TV via the analog cables, and use source material you know has at least pro-logic on it.

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes and no.. Does it at least allow you to set it for ProLogic2 Music? PLIICinema is terrable for music, looking for the out of phase pro-logic content. But still not a good test. I surely don't use it for music, nor do I like it much at all. Some people claim they use it though.

I still say, you can't base it on that. PLII will have varied success with music / 2 channel non surround sources based somewhat from make/model to other make/models.

At least make sure it is and can be set to PLIIMusic not PLIICinema....

JohnDinVirginia

Auditioning
Yeah, I can set it to PL2Music. It's going to sound strange but it sounds like some music and then a babbling brook, like some weird electronic noise from a sci-fi movie. I am thinking its the decoding, I know sometimes MP3s sound weird if they're not decoded properly. So I'm thikning at this point on just returning it for another set this weekend unless I can find that its normal.
Thanks for your help so far.
John

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm I'd try some real prologic on it, if that works, it is probably inheirent flaw of some sort in the design of the unit / decoding / whatever it is.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks