What's new

Sony DB930 vs. DB940 (1 Viewer)

WarrenC

Auditioning
I've found a good deal on a DB930, and I was wondering what I'm missing out by not getting the newer DB940, or even the DB1070 I've seen recently.
Originally I had considered getting the DB840, but at a lower cost, is there any reason I shouldn't go for the 930? Any comments on quality? For the price I hear its great, there are tons of great reviews on audioreview.com.
As I said, its about the max for my budget, so please don't tell me to run out and buy a $1000 receiver. :) I'm currently mired in pro-logic, so I'm looking forward to this one...
Thanks.

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
I've got one of the 940's. I like mine. As near as I can tell the differences are (1) a bit more power for the 940 (2) a second audio source output that allows the playing of a different source in other rooms (requires a second amp though) and (3) a better remote that is also "2-way"
In my case I needed the second audio source to run the other 4 sets of speakers in my house so it was a no-brainer choice for me.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Warren, I assume you're talking about the Sony STR-DB940 receiver. I've got the DB940 and love it. I'm a big Sony fan but the DB940 has impressed me a lot.
I don't know much about the DB1070, except that it's a newer model to replace the DB940 (which in turn replaced the 930 I think).
I've just had a look at the specs for the 1070 and the 940 and there's not a lot of difference (infact some look better on the older 940). The 930 isn't in the Sony brochures I have.
Companies tend to release new models every year with a few tweeks, often just for marketing reasons.
------------------
My HT My DVD Collection

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Warren, I owned the STR-DB930 for awhile last year before upgrading to a Sony STR-V444ES. Despite my upgrade, the 'DB930 is an excellent receiver for the money. That said, I would go for the 'DB940 (or the 'DB1070) instead. One of the key features that the 'DB930 lacks and was added to the 'DB940 is an analog bypass or analog direct mode. This mode allows an incoming analog signal (i.e., fed into the RCA inputs) to bypass the receiver's A/D and D/A converters to preserve the sound quality. The lack of an analog bypass mode is one of the key reasons I replaced my 'DB930 with the 'V444ES. I know the 'DB1070 also offers analog bypass, but I haven't read up on it enough to see what it offers over the 'DB940. Crutchfield has information on the 'DB1070 on its web site, however.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Charles Guajardo

Stunt Coordinator
The DB940 also has a flexible crossover for bass management. I'm not positive, but I believe the DB930 was fixed. Definately something to look into, though, as I consider this to be a big selling point.
-charles

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Charles, yes, the 'DB930 lacks bass management. Along with the addition of the analog bypass mode, addition of bass management to the 'DB940 was a major upgrade from the 'DB930. I replaced my 'DB930 with a Sony STR-V444ES primarily for the analog bypass mode. Shortly after setting it up, I learned the benefit of bass management.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

WarrenC

Auditioning
Thanks for all of your help guys. Looks like the DB930 is out. However in this case I think I might go for the DB840 rather than DB940 since I don't really need the extra power (I live in an apartment). I notice the DB840 has APC (Analog Pureness Control)--I assume this is the analog passthrough, but I can't find reference to the bass management features on either the DB940 or DB840 on Sony's web site.. can anybody confirm whether the DB840 has this feature?
Thanks again.
-Warren

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Well, technically, any processor or receiver that can reroute bass frequencies from one speaker to another has bass management. And the DB930 can indeed do this.
But what makes the DB840's (and DB940's) bass management better than the DB830's (and DB930's) is the crossover point flexibility. It allows the user to decide at what frequency the bass rerouting begins. This can allow a better blend between a set of speakers and the system subwoofer.
If memory serves, the 830/930 crossover point was at 100 Hz (although there has been sources quoted at 120 Hz. The main point being that it was fixed at one frequency.) The 840/940 crossover point can be 60 Hz, 90 Hz or 120 Hz (I also remember that it goes above 120 Hz but I cannot recommend doing so, since frequencies that high are far more directional.)
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks