Sony DAV S300 Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Spector, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Spector

Spector Stunt Coordinator

OK I have had this entry level system for almost 2 years now. I know this system is about as low end as you can get but I would still like to use it for its full potential until i can afford something else.

Do give you the low down on this system its just one of those package deals. The DVD player doubles as a receiver and the speakers plug into the DVD player which then just has a video out cable going to the TV.

THe problem is this player only works with DVD's. It doesn't work with my PS2 or regular television. How can I do this?

The ports on the back of the dvd player are 2 Composite ports for video/sound in and then there is one set for sound out. I have tried hooking up the red/white cables to have the sound go out to the TV but it still doesn't work, just sound with DVD's.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Why would you want to have the receiver (combo unit?) send sound TO the TV? If you have signal coming to the receiver from the other sources, there is no reason to try to send that back to the TV. If your sources are correctly connected to the receiver, you should not have a problem. If you want to use the TV without the receiver, use a splitter and send the signal to both the TV and receiver.

3. Spector

The DVD player doubles as the recevier. All the speakers are connected to the DVD player/Receiver Combo and then the only thing going out is Video Out. So how is it connected to the TV?

I tried sending sound out from the dvd/receiver to the tv with the red/white cables and it still didn't work.

4. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Spector,
    I once had the same unit you do, and also run into the same problem. If I remember correctly, the unit has a option called "monitor out", you have to turn it on to be able to send audio signal to another equipment (in this case your TV). Hope that helps.

Hugo

5. Spector

Hmm, thats interesting Hugo. I looked for that option but I can't seem to find it. I guess I will look some more [​IMG].

6. Spector

Ok I looked through the whole manual and the only mention of monitor out was the yellow composite cable output for a TV Monitor (allowing the DVD's to be displayed on the TV). The rest of the ports are either for hooking up a VCR or for hooking up a digital satelite, their are no red/white "monitor" out cables to be used to send the sound out to the TV.
    You say you got it to work though, do you remember any specifics? I'm still clueless over here. [​IMG]

7. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

I still have the dvd player somewhere around, I'll just need to find it. I'll try to hook it up like before and tell you exactly how I did it.

Hugo

8. Spector

Thanks that would be great, I'm kinda clueless here and I'll continue to look. Just couldn't find a thing so far, i'm a newb.
    [​IMG]