What's new

Sony DAV-FX80 Subwoofer is pathetic (1 Viewer)

inception417

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
hello,

i have the Sony DAV-FX80 system, the dvd player + the speakers

I dont like the subwoofer i got b/c it doesn't make that "BASS" sound, the sound that shakes the floor

I went to my friends house, he has a YAMAHA system and its costs the same as mine but when i saw a movie with his speakers, It was awesome. The subwoofer was great, it felt like i was in a theater. Mine doesn't do that.

Is there something i can do to make the sound quality better or is that the best it can do ?

i turned the DGSX button ON and i changed the sound field to "Cinema studio EX A "

I want the theater experience plz

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You could certainly swap out the sub. How big is your room and what's your budget?

inception417

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
its a normal size living room in a house. i dont want to buy another sub, the one i payed for should be good enough

is that the best it can do or is my settings wrong ? (in terms of SOUND FIELD)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well I went and read you manual. You should just have it set to Auto Format Direct and make sure you select the 5.1 option on the DVD you are playing. I would not use the DSP modes. It doesn't say that the Cinema Studio EX modes use the Sub as they are only talking about 5 channels.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
The placement of a sub is critical. It is possible that your listening position is in a null. Try moving the sub a foot or two away from its current position and see if that helps. The difference can be huge. Try it in a corner or near a wall.

The method often used to find the best placement is to temporarily place the sub in your listening position. Then go stand in the various places where you could ultimately place the sub. Wherever you hear a strong response would be a good place to put the sub.

Also, make sure that the port is firing out into the room, not into the wall.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Unfortunately, Sony makes great TVs and DVD players, but not so much receivers and HTiBs. The sub you have is not very powerful, so you'll have a difficult time filling a room larger than a small room (~13x13x9). If you can still return it, I'd advise doing so.

Other than getting an upscale sub, as someone already mentioned your best option is proper sub placement. Check out some sub manufactorer sites for instruction; this guide is decent: http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/subwoofer-placement-guidelines. Also, if your sub has a phase switch, before doing anything else try switch the phase; if you happened to pick the worst spot in the room switching the phase may help.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by winniw

The placement of a sub is critical. It is possible that your listening position is in a null. Try moving the sub a foot or two away from its current position and see if that helps. The difference can be huge. Try it in a corner or near a wall.

The method often used to find the best placement is to temporarily place the sub in your listening position. Then go stand in the various places where you could ultimately place the sub. Wherever you hear a strong response would be a good place to put the sub.

Also, make sure that the port is firing out into the room, not into the wall.

This!!! First thing, try different placements in your room for the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks