What's new

Sony DAV-DX170 audio work around (1 Viewer)

BXpAcE

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
Hello,

I purchased a sony dream system a couple months ago and have been struggling with a small aspect of it's audio functionality ever since I set it up. I know its mainly set up to strictly play dvd's in surround with one additional output mainly for a digital receiver or tv. I needed to set up my xbox to utilize the surround features as well and incorperated a slightly inconvenient work around to this issue. I'm using a busic switch to go from my 360 to my pvr for audio output. Are there any other ways to support two different audio sources isntead of reaching around and manually having to switch back and forth from my PVR to my xbox. Am I stuck? Are there any receivers that support the speaker wires that came with this system? Are there any other Mcgiver type solutions that can be incorperated other then having to get up? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Jared - the Sony DAV-DX170 is a home theatre in a box, that includes only a DVD Player and Speakers, and won't offer surround sound from any external sources. You may want to invest in a more capable A/V Receiver that includes Optical Audio, Digital Coax and RCA inputs/outputs, and is also capable of video switching.

You can pick up a very capable entry-level Denon or Yamaha receiver for around $300.

BXpAcE

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
Thanks for the fast reply Alon! Much appreciated. This receiver you're reffering to me supports the cable type that seems proprietary to the Sony system (the ends that plug into the dvd/receiver) ?? Thanks again

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Nope you're stuck.. You won't be able to connect a receiver to your system. Unfortunately you're stuck with a Home Theatre in a Box with no expansion capabilities. If possible, I'd recommend returning this system in favour of a more capable system that includes an A/V Reciever with audio/video switching capabilities, seperate Progressive Scan DVD Player, and 5.1 speakers.

Johnandrew1

Auditioning
Real Name
andrewwilliam
Thanks for nice posting and I am impressing about this post.
============================================
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks