What's new

Sony DA9000ES Is it digital? (1 Viewer)

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Several years ago, I sold off my HT equipment, B&K Ref 50 and Sherbourn 7/2100 amp. I am now looking to build a new system. I was simply going to spring for a Sunfire Ultimate or B&K AVR507, but then started reading about these new digital amplifiers. Its hard for me to believe that such an inexpensive digital amp like the Panasonic or Kenwood can compete in sound with a good analog receiver, but I am trying to be open minded. Then I saw the Sony DA9000ES. Is this a true digital receiver? It is huge, but light so I suspect it may be. Anybody ever hear it, see it, or can offer any opinions about how it would compete with the Sunfire or B&K.

Thanks

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Albert,

yes the DA9000ES (also 5000, 3000 and 2000ES) are using Sony's S-Master digital amplification. To read more about it you can download this DA9000ES reference (PDF) Asian version amplifier only (no tuner)

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Anybody out there own one of these receivers and care to comment on its sound and build quality?

JackS

Supporting Actor
I have been looking for reviews on this receiver also.
I did read a comp review translated from the Neatherlands I believe a couple of months ago comparing the 9000es to the Pioneer 59tx, Yamaha Z9, Denon 5803 and the top of the line Marantz.
The conclusion to this review the 9000es rated first in musicality and build quality and the Z9 came out on top for home theater. The 5803 was third the Pioneer fourth and the Marantz was last although this receiver is several hundred dollars less than its counterparts.
I would keep in mind that opinions are going to vary and there will be almost without a doubt more reviews coming that will differ than the opinions expressed here.
If anyone is going to spend this kind of money on a receiver, they would be well served to form their own opinion on their purchase rather than rely on opinions repersented by any magazine or individual.
My opinion is owners and buyers of any of these receivers will have an expressed opinion of their own and very good reasons for their eventual choice.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Good advice, Jack. But I wonder if there are build issues or quality control issues? Those aren't quite so subjective. Surprisingly there is very little on this receiver to find on the net.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
In the December 2004 issue of Stereophile, there's a paragraph mentioning the good sound quality of the DA9000ES while driving a full surround sound setup of Wilson Audio speakers.

Shiu

Second Unit
I have yet to read anything bad about this Monster Sony ES receiver. For that price, I would go separates, for better flexibility and upgradability.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Shiu:

I used to have seperates, but I just don't want to spring for that much $$$ this time. Also, I really want to go with a digital amp rather than an analog as I really believe that is the future. The Sony can be had for about $2k which is considerably less than retail when it came out, and is much less than the B&K Ref 50 and Sherbourn 7/2100 amp I used to have. The receiver is easier, cheaper, and at this point, given that movie watching dominates my use, more that adequate for my needs. If I was going to go analog, I would probably go with either a B&K AVR507 or Sunfire Ultimate.

Shiu

Second Unit
AlbertD, I agree with you, real separates will cost a ton more. I was talking about a receiver/power amplifer combination, not a totally separate system. I paid less than C$4500 for the AVR3805/4BSST combo. The 9000ES is listed for C$5999 so street price would probably be at least C$4500.

The flexibility I gain with this configuration is that I now have a much better power amplifier for 2 channel music. For multi-channel, since the 3805 only has to handle the center and surround channels, it can probably compete with the 9000ES in terms of sound quality.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I've been looking for a receiver like this. On this topic, I've heard so many good things about Dolby Surround IIx that I've decided that my next receiver must have this mode. Since the 9000 does not have IIx, I'll have to pass. BUT - could there be a way for the owner to update the receiver's software?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Bill,

the 9000ES is equipped with an RS-232 interface, presumably for software upgrades - however judging from the threads in the forums on Agoraquest, Sony doesn't have a good track record with upgrading. I could be wrong though, but the 9000ES has been out for awhile now, and so has PLIIx but the two have not been introduced.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
The Sony ES hardware has the capability to easily accomadate PLIIx, but as w/ update hopes in the past, they will not do it. My DA4ES could accomadate PLIIx, but petitions and pleas from thousands of DA4ES/DA7ES to Sony yielded nothing at all...nothing.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin:

I saw and have read most of your posts on digital receivers. If one takes money out of the equation, have you any opinions on the Sony digital reveivers that relate to either sound or build quality? I assume that as this reveiver is now well over a year old that they have addressed a few of the early issues around QC. Thoughts?

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Build quality on them is excellent. I got a chance to push buttons on it, lift it, and fiddle w/ the volume knob, but unfortunately, that's about it. I haven't had a chance to listen to one at all. The price of the 9000ES coupled w/ the early production run issues (that have all been solved now) sorta steered me away from the 9000ES. I have a Sony ES dealer about 10 mins away from me w/ a complete 2000, 5000, and 9000ES setup, and I'll stop by this week to give it a listen. I'll let you know how it compares to the Panny XR50.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin:

That would be great. I would be beholden to you as I am many hours away from anybody who would carry this unit. I live in a rural area in North Carolina and the closest city is a ways away..

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that Sony comes out with a new line of ES receivers periodically - does anyone know when this will happen again?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
They've released a new ES amp in Japan which is probably their first non HTiB with DPLIIx TA-DA7000ES (if the engrish rooks funny, its because rink was Babeled)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks