What's new

Sony DA7ES vs. Denon 3803 & 4802 (1 Viewer)

StephenW

Auditioning
I've been searching through the site and haven't found any discussion on the DA7ES. I own the previous Sony 5.1 flagship DA777 and have been very satisfied. I am making the move to 7.1 and considering the new Sony 7ES or the Denon 3803 or moving up in price and going for the Denon 4802. I've noticed that my 5.1 Sony 777ES weighed 54 pounds and was rock solid. The new 7ES tips the scales at only 44 pounds. The 777 had some type of exotic class A push/pull amplifiers. The rest of the line did not feature this type amplification. This may be the reason for the extra weight. I'm most interested in the sound quality. I'm aware that the 4802 will be replaced shortly with the 4803 but do not care to wait until the end of the year.

Any recommendations, comments would be appreciated.

Stephen W.

terence

Supporting Actor
The reason you can't find anything on the 7ES is because everyone is buying the 4ES. The 7ES is a waste of money when you look at it only has 3 extra options (i.e)

3 room capable
Touch Screen Remote & 2nd room remote
10 more watts per ch = 3db's of sound

It's just not worth the money even Sony knows it they drop the price to move some of them. The 4ES is identical to the 7ES accept for the 3 things i listed above. Oh yeah they both weigh the same. I suggest demo the receivers in your home if possible and then make your decision.

Yogi

Screenwriter
10 more watts per ch = 3db's of sound
10W over the 4ES would equal 3db only if the 4ES is rated for 10W/ch. Its every doubling of power that gives a 3db increment. I think the 4ES is rated around 100W and so 10W over that would be negligible in terms of db.

Also from my experience I prefer the sound of Denon over Sony ES. That doesnt mean the ES is worse sounding, only different, is how I would put it. The Denon has a slight warmth to its sound as its treble is slightly rolled off and has a slightly fuller midrange the ES OTOH is slightly accentuated treble (forward sounding) with somewhat leaner midrange. They just sound different so you have to audition both before putting down the cash.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you're looking in the price range of the 7ES, I would recommend getting the 4ES and adding a solid 2, 3, or 5 channel amplifier. This way you could get all of the amazing processing and customizability (is that a word?) of the 4ES and then get amps that match your tastes (if you don't like the slightly brighter nature of the 4ES). Also, most of the brightness and leaner midrange of the 4ES can be tamed with it's built in EQ system which lets you separately equalize every speaker... this may take some time, and since I have only had my 4ES a week, i haven't tweeked my system much yet. That said, it sounds great out of the box w/ only the speaker levels calibrated.

You may also save enough w/ the 4ES/Amp combination to pick up a Pronto remote. The 4ES remote is usable, but I absolutely LOVE my Pronto. Just one more thing to think about.

Hope this helps :)

John_V_H

Auditioning
Actually, the 4802 is going to be replaced by a 4802R, supposedly sometime this month. I've heard that the unit will have increased THX certification and the remote control from the 3802 (no more Aktis). Some speculate that Denon will not release a new model at the 4802 level until 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks