Sony DA777ES -VS- DA5ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David C, Oct 3, 2001.

1. David C

David C Auditioning

I think I found a place that still has some Sony STR-DA777ES
    receivers in stock and I'm strongly considering buying one, after searching through reviews and seeing how strongly recommended they are. My only concern is that the new DA5ES receiver may blow it away in performance. Do you think I should wait for all the reviews on the 5ES or jump on the chance to get a brand new 777ES before it's too late?

2. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

1. Where did you find the 777es at?
    2. No, the 5 will not blow the 777 away. Soundwise the 777 will probably blow the 5 away as it sounds better than more expensive receivers such as the Denon 4800, Marantz SR-18 and even the B&K 307. The 777 is one of the best receivers ever made, it was basically an accident on Sony's part. The V ES series - v333es, v444es, v555es - are a joke compared to the 777. From what I've heard and by looking at the photos of the 5 the new receiver is not in the same class as the 777. Buy the 777 or go for the Sony 9000 separates.
    Razvan

3. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I own the 777 and it will only be replaced when I decide to go with quality separates. I suggest you snap one up quickly and if you are later not satisfied sell it on E-bay for the amount purchased.
    Chris

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

5. Razvan V

Gil,
    I had owned the 444es for about 6 months when I found a good deal on the 777 took it home to compare it to the 444. Soundwise there's a night and day difference between the two. Build quality of the 777 is also much better. Featurewise they are the same as the there's an upgrade kit for the 777 that adds Virtual Matrix 6.1 to the 777. The volume control knob on the Vseries receivers was a total disaster, I tried 3 units and a 555es and the volume would go up and down by itself, totally unacceptable. The 444 sounds like a $500 receiver, the 777 sounds like a $2000+ one. I did compare the 777 to some very expensive receivers and to me it sounded better than even the celebrated B&K 307. The 777 is a classic, the 444 is an ordinary unit.
    I originally bought the 444 because some person on this chatboard recommended it + he mentioned that the guys at Oade compared the 444 to the 777 and thought that the 444 sounded better. Lesson learned: never again believe in what the Oade guys say.
    Razvan

6. wally

wally Second Unit

We still don't know where David found these 777s. Hope it's not in Guam cuz that would shoot down any chance I'd have of picking one up.
    ------------------

7. David C

David C Auditioning

I am still trying to get in touch with the store I found online that has them advertised. I want to make sure they have more than one (if any) before I list their name here. Everytime I call their answering machine picks up and I have not received a response to an email I sent them yet either. If I don't hear something back by today then I'll just go ahead and post the link here so somebody can try for themselves. The store listing them is in the states.

8. David C

David C Auditioning

Figures. I got ahold of the store right after my last post and sure enough they said the 777's are long gone. Here's the link I was referring too >>
    http://www.sounddistributors.com/sonyes3.htm
    They need to update their site! I have my 555ES in the shop right now trying to get it fixed and the store manager told me that he thinks there are some 777's left at his main store in Hawaii. I told him to try and find out for me and let me know. He said he'd let me know today. I'll post here if he finds some.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, do let us know if the 'DA777ES is still available from Sound Distributors. I find it interesting that they have a store in Hawaii. Maybe there is no connection, but I ordered a Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc deck in June from http://www.soundpros.com The 'JA555ES is generally considered the best minidisc deck Sony has ever made, and soundpros.com was the only dealer that showed it on their web site. It was a relatively low-production piece that had been discontinued long before I ordered it. Like I said, it arrived from Hawaii. Hopefully you will get a long-lost 'DA777ES, the best receiver Sony has ever made according to some, from Hawaii. [​IMG]
    By the way, I own a Sony STR-V444ES receiver. While I won't say it is as good as the 'DA777ES since I have never compared them directly and because the 'DA777ES is an excellent component, I do feel the 'V444ES is a very good receiver, especially for the $640 I paid from an authorized dealer. I have said it here before, and I'll say it again. Last September, when I was looking into purchasing the 'V444ES, Jim Oade of Oade Bros., whom I trust, told me that in comparing the 'V444ES to the 'DA777ES with stereo music, he preferred the 'V444ES. He felt the 'DA777ES was harsh by comparison. A member here said he and his friend, who owned the 'V444ES and 'DA777ES at the time, respectively, made the same observation in the comparing the two receivers. Now, this is all anecdotal, but in many instances, one cannot say that one component is outright better than another.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

10. Razvan V

I owned both the 444 and the 777 receivers and had plenty of time to compare them. I can definitely tell you that the 777 blows away the 444 ESPECIALLY IN STEREO. The difference in sound in favor of the 777 is not subtle, it's huge. A friend of mine who is manager at a Good Guys store told me that the 777 is probably the best receiver the store ever carried. He too thought that the V series receivers don't even compare. I know a few people who work for Sony and many of them bought the 777, none of them was interested in "upgrading" to the V series. Go and compare the reviews at www.audioreview.com, there's a lot of people complaining about the V series, almost nobody complains about the 777. Why do you think that so many people are trying to locate and buy the 777? The Oade guy was either joking or he simply wanted to sell the 444 to you.
    Razvan

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Razvan, opinions will vary. You must remember that. For what it's worth, when I spoke to Jim Oade in September 2000, I could have bought a 'V444ES from him for $640 or a 'DA777ES for $1050. There was absolutely no reason for him to shove a 'V444ES down my throat. Last time I checked, he is in business to make money, and I believe 1050 is bigger than 640. [​IMG] Anyway, I was just relating two opinions I heard favoring the 'V444ES. For the price difference, I would expect the 'DA777ES to be better. It doesn't make no nevermind to me since I am happy with the 'V444ES. The price was right and it has all the features I wanted at the time. The only thing it lacks from my perspective is an extra set of multi-channel inputs in order to accommodate both multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio conveniently. The 'DA777ES doesn't offer this either.
    As far as so many people trying to track down the 'DA777ES, I don't know how many is so many. There are enough people on this site who won't touch a Sony receiver of any kind. We all know that Denon is king on this site. I have read many a review both on the web and in print declaring the Denon AVR-5800 the best receiver ever made. Some have bestowed that honor on the B&K AVR 307. Although I haven't compared these receivers directly, I would be very surprised if the 'DA777ES were superior to either '5800 or the '307.
    After Denon receivers, I feel the majority of people here favor Onkyo/Integtra, Marantz, and Yamaha before Sony and Pioneer Elite. That's just a feeling I have from visiting this site over the past year-and-a-half. I like Sony products, ES in particular, but I don't feel the majority of people are going to share the notion that the 'DA777ES is at the top of the heap of A/V receivers. Just as the Good Guys manager said the 'DA777ES was the best receiver he ever carried, I have experienced many a salesman who would never touch a Sony receiver.
    Finally, let's not discount the capability of the forthcoming Sony STR-DA5ES without seeing or hearing it. Maybe the 'DA5ES isn't as heavy as the 'DA777ES, but that does not mean it will not be a capable receiver. Sony has been downscaling the appearance and build quality of its latest SACD players relative to the first-generation models, and initial reviews coming in on Audio Asylum say they are as good or better than the venerable (and heavy) SCD-777ES and SCD-1. That doesn't make the first-generation players bad. Onward and upward, as they say.
    ------------------
    My:

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chuck, I just checked out the eBay auction for the 'DA777ES. Thanks for the link. The seller states:

14. Razvan V

Keith,
    All I know is that I will never again be interested in Jim Oade's opinion. I don't see how anyone who listened to both the 444 and the 777 can think that the 444 sounds better. And how can you keep on saying that the 444 is a decent receiver when it's not? Read about the numerous problems that people have had with the V series. I myself tried 4 V series receivers and they all had the volume control problem, totally unbearable ( not to mention that they hiss too).
    I did compare the 777 with the B&K 307 and to me the 777 sounded better in stereo. I also know someone who upgraded from the 777 to the B&K and he thinks that the two receivers are equal soundwise.
    The 777 is an amazing unit. I understand the fact that many people on this forum don't like Sony but the 777 is a very different Sony product.
    Ravzan

15. Phil Iott

Phil Iott Auditioning

I have the 444es and this volume thing is driving me nuts! The worst is when you go to adjust the volume(up or down) the sound gets much louder for a second before it starts adjusting normally. Any suggestions on what I should do with it? The reason I haven't called Sony yet is because I don't want to be stuck without a receiver for months... What did you guys do with your crap 444 units? Thanks.
    Phil
    BTW, other than the volume thing I have been very happy with the receiver.
    ------------------
    My DVDs

16. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'd be real surprised myself if the Sony sounded better than my B&K 307 too...real surprised.
    - Chip
    ------------------

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil,
    My 'V444ES exhibits the volume control issue that many others here have experienced. What I have seen is the display toggle between the volume display and normal display periodically. It happens most often for a second when I turn the receiver on and occasionally right after I adjust the volume. However, I have never experienced the volume get very loud when I first adjust it. That's odd. With my receiver, the volume adjusts normally, except for the occasional display toggle that I mentioned. What I found odd on my receiver is that the toggling of the display happens less frequently now than when I first bought the receiver in September 2000. I noticed the frequency of the toggling decrease after about the first month.
    I would not necessarily assume that you will be without the receiver for months if you were to pursue a repair through Sony. If Sony is aware of the problem and has already determined what is causing it (e.g., a bad IC chip), the repair could be very straightforward. You may not even have to send the receiver back to Sony. An authorized Sony repair center in your area may be able to do the repair. I had a local Sony repair center upgrade the firmware on a Sony DVP-S330 DVD player in a week about a year-and-a-half ago. The only reason it took a week is because the repair center had to first get the new chip from Sony. The actual repair work took at most, an hour.
    Razvan,
    As I said, opinions will vary. The only thing we can guarantee about opinions is that everyone has one. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:

18. Razvan V

Phil, there's nothing you can do about the volume problem on the 444es. Don't take ( send ) it to the Sony service center to be fixed. I've dealt with Sony "technicians" and they have no clue how to fix anything. Many Sony 333/444/555 owners have this problem, I guess that that's how Sony made them. I sold mine and got the 777, there's no comparison between the 2. Maybe you too can find a 777?
    Chip, the Sony sounds better in stereo, the 307 sounds better in 5.1. I too was surprised. A German magazine compared the Sony 777 receiver to a few receivers and preamp/amp combos and the Sony came in second - beating, among others, the Onkyo 989, Denon 4800, Parasound preamp/amp combo in stereo. The only thing that sounded better in stereo was a Marantz combo.
    The other Sony receivers I listened to - the 333/444/555 ES V series and the DA555ES don't compare to the B&K 307 though, the 307 is much better.
    Razvan

19. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

I'd be real surprised myself if the Sony sounded better than my B&K 307 too...real surprised.
    - Chip
    ------------------
    Most receivers sound the same. As for those doing comparison between receivers, if those comparison are not double blind and level matched, those comparison results are meaningles and useless.

20. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Jalleel, in your opinion (i believe you are wrong)they sound the same. I don't do double blind tests and have absolutely no need for them. Please don't start a rant on double blind testing...it's boring as hell.
    - Chip
    ------------------