sony da5es vs. harman kardon avr-520?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Weltman, Jul 24, 2002.

1. David Weltman

Sony has to multichannel inputs, which is handy for DVD-A and SACD. Harman has Logic 7, which may be the best way to obtain multichannel sound from stereo music sources? Any opinions or suggestions...both are pretty reasonably priced these days

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I know a guy here on the forum who actually has both receivers. His name is Angelo and he started out with the HK 520 and then he went to the 5ES. I remember him posting about it but I think he liked the HK for music more and the 5ES for HT. You might want to try to do a search.

P.S

I like the way music sounds on my 5ES when using PLII. I have never heard logic 7 so I can't say which one is better.

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

David, DPLII sounds very good to me on my DA5ES, actually better by the day. DTS NEO IMHO is a little to forward and shrilling(I wonder why no adjustments like DPLII). For satellite, vhs, and local tv, DPLII MOVIE is awesome compare to DPL. Even better IMHO with my optical in for DD 2.0 on HBO. I have just ordered a sacd player so I will post my impressions as they occur.
    Everyone raves about the HK amps and logic 7, I haven't heard them but I love my DA5ES[​IMG]

4. David Weltman

well, most people seems to think that Logic 7 is better than DP2, although I haven't been able to find any really extended discussion on why this should be true.

The other issue for me is the 2 sets of multichannel inputs on the Sony. This would be extremely useful for DVD-A and SACD, unless the upgraded pioneer 47ai turns out to be the high quality universal machine everyone is hoping for.

So my next questions is, how do the multichannel analog inputs in the DA5ES stack up against the TA-p9000es?

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I use my 5ES for SACD and can tell you that it sounds very good to me. It is crisp and clear and it has enough power to push my speakers (Divas 6.1's, 2.1's, C3) very high with out distortion.