Sony DA5ES Receiver - Only 1 Back Surround Speaker Allowed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MartinV, Jul 17, 2002.

1. MartinV

MartinV Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking about buying the Sony DA5ES (Dolby Digital-EX / DTS-EX) receiver. However, looking at Crutchfield's photo of the back panel, I see that it only has one set of bananna plugs for the back surround. I went onto Dolby's website and saw that it's ideal to have 2 back surround speakers for the matrixed center for DD-EX. Does this prohibit me from having 2 speakers or can I put both speaker connectors (2 blacks/2 reds) into the 1 plug set.

Thanks.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Martin, I think the 'DA5ES only allows for one surround center speaker. It only decodes in 6.1, not 7.1. Note that it offers DTS-ES discrete 6.1 decoding.

According to Jim Oade at Oade Bros., at least some of the new ES receivers coming soon will offer 7.1-channel decoding. Also, What Hi*Fi? out of the UK reports in the current issue that the forthcoming STR-VA333ES (will not be a US model number) will decode in 7.1. So, it seems as though Sony is moving into 7.1. I'm sure we will see 7.1-channel receivers from Sony in the US too.

3. MartinV

MartinV Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Keith. I remember you from my progressive-DVD decision making days. Thanks for your input here. Looks like I'm going to be waiting eagerly for the new Sony ES receivers this fall (with all the other Sony fans) as it will allow for the 2 back surround speakers. Maybe it will be 2 side fronts, kind of like SDDS. I'm hoping its the former rather than the latter.

BTW, still haven't decided on my 65" HDTV-ready widescreen. But I figure, since I just bought the new Sony 655 5-disc DVD changer and will buy one of the new DD/DTS-EX 7.1 Sony receivers, might as well go with their top of the line WV700 due for release in a month or two.

Oh well, I have some time before I should begin to worry about it. The life of a home theater guy or gal is not easy. ;-)

4. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Martin-

Actually the DA5ES does have 7.1 capabilities. It ONLY has 6 channels of amplification but if you add a separate amp you can assign the FRONT CENTER channel as one of the BACK surrounds for full 7.1!

I hope this helps

Angelo

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Angelo,
    I wasn't considering addition of a second amp. I was just considering the capabilities of the 'DA5ES on its own. Good point though.
    Martin,
    No problem. Glad to help.
    You said:

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

7. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Juan-

8. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Thanks for the response Angelo.

I am totally amazed by the difference the 5ES has made. My Divas have totally opened up. I purchased a SACD player and got to listen to my firts multichannel SACD and I am real happy with the sound coming out of the 5ES. I can't wait till I am home alone to see how loud I can get the 5ES to go.

9. Joe Barefoot

Joe Barefoot Stunt Coordinator

You can use a separate stereo amp with pre-out's from the DA5ES to power your left and right rear surrounds. Prior to my amp upgrade, the rears were all that I was running on a separate amp. Worked like a charm. And I think you would be OK with a pretty cheap amp as the rear surrounds don't get allot of signal.

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Martin, in all likelihood you can plug two speakers into the one set of banana plugs. I've done this numerous times with any ill affects or change in sound. The only time this would be an issue is if you turn things up VERY loud and push your amp beyond what it is capable of doing. This point will come into view faster if its driving two sets of speakers instead of one. but in reality, we're talking about the back rear speakers here and unless you crank it up to the max in 6 channel stereo, I think you'd be fine. In addition you could wire them up in series as well.
    As for 7.1, there is no software encoded in 7.1 at the moment so when people say 7.1, they mean one of two things:

(1) they really mean, it has 7 amps but still simply plays a mono signal out of the two rear speakers.

(2) it has its own proprietary DSP that turns a 2 channel or DD/DTS source into 7.1 (e.g. Logic7)

#1 can be accomplished, as mentioned, by hooking up a stereo amp for the backs or simply wiring them in parallel or in series off the existing receiver. #2 is its own thing and whether you like it better than existing DD/DTS decodings is going to be a personal opinion.

hope this helps,

--tom