What's new

Sony DA5ES and DTS-ES Discrete problem fixed by new firmware (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
I have been trying to download the new firmware version on to my 4ES since last night and no suscess. I have the right cable, i'm using a Belkin DB9 serial cross cable (null-modem cable),made for transfering files between computers. I keep getting a communication error box saying "cannot write program data". I have went over everything to make sure that it would work, no suscess.

When i start the upgrade the 4ES current firmware version says (unknown), for some reason the 4ES will not display the current firmware version and i can't help but think this may be the reason why it will not upgrade. I Has anyone else had this problem with upgrading their 4ES?
If so. What did you do to fix it?

terence

Supporting Actor
BTW I'am using the Update Software (Version 1.73) for STR-DA4ES,STR-DA7ES,STR-VA333ES (filename: VA333ES.exe).

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I have been trying to download the new firmware version on to my 4ES since last night and no suscess...
My 4ES also does not dislay the firmware version, but only the model number, when using the trick for the 5ES (scrolling the jog dial all the way). Your receiver may already have that version of firmware (or maybe even a newer one) which would explain why it isn't letting the upgrade take place.

There is another thread describing the update and it gives specific model numbers. I cannot find the thread (server won't do searches due to high load) but it indicated that the upgrade was for 4ES receivers with serial numbers in the range: 8800001 through 8805418. Check your serial number.

terence

Supporting Actor
4ES receivers with serial numbers in the range: 8800001 through 8805418. Check your serial number.
I remember that thread, my 4ES does fall in that range but my 4ES has been properly decoding the disc that were giving 5ES owners probems. I figured since Sony put out the upgrade for the 4ES&7ES then if you own one you need to apply the upgrade.

I have notice on my 007 Tommorow Never Dies it does not say it is DDEX but my receiver says it is. I keep mine on auto dec, when i put in Star Wars AOTC and other DDEX disc the 4ES does not go into SB Decoding only with DTSES it will go into SB Decoding. So is this upgrade going to make the 4ES detect all DDEX disc?

One more question. Aaron does your 4ES decode Star Wars AOTC and other DDEX disc the same as mine? If so then i might not need the upgrade.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Most DD-EX dvds (incl AotC) are not flagged as the flag was causing problems with some early 6.1 receivers :frowning: (notably Onkyos).

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
...when i put in Star Wars AOTC and other DDEX disc the 4ES does not go into SB Decoding only with DTSES it will go into SB Decoding. So is this upgrade going to make the 4ES detect all DDEX disc?
The reason for this is simple: the DD-EX flag is not set in the bitstream. It most certainly is recorded in EX though. You have to set the SB decoding manually for most DD-EX titles. This is not the case for dts-ES tracks though. The reason is that some older DD decoders had problems with soundtracks that had the EX flag set, so Dolby now recommends not setting the flag at all. Some DVD's have the flag set correctly, and some do not.
(I can check later today if my 4ES enables SB decoding for DD on Episode 1, but I am fairly certain that it will not!).

NickSP

Supporting Actor
DA4ES EXPERTS, what changes if any does the software upgrade do to a DA4ES? Can someone clarify why we owners of the 4ES need this upgrade? Thanks.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I am on the phone with SONY support and they are totally lost!! What a joke.

Has anyone successfully tried this firmware upgrade on a DA4ES yet???

Alex

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
you know, some ppl look at a map to get directions, you call sony to lose directions

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Okie Dokie,

After gettting thru the VRU at the SONY 1-800 number and waiting on the phone for 30 minutes....after at least 10 times of "Where did you get that firmware information from??" and slowly trying to help SONY support to find their website and then after anohter 30 minutes of being on hold for at least 29 minutes of that time I got dropped!!!

I really like SONY stuff, especially the ES line but man SONY needs to get their service and support together.

Its one thing to have acknowledged problems and issues its another not letting your support 1-800 number Helpdesk staff know what is out on their support website!! The old right hand doesnt know what the left is doing!!

ALL THAT ASIDE: I flashed my STR-DA4ES a few minutes ago via a laptop, serial cable and it worked just fine.

No I do not know why or what SONY really fixed in this firmware update, but at least I feel like I have the latest fix.

The flash works well with Windows2000, it did cycle off the receiver to erase and write the new firmware into the 'eprom'. Afte 2-3 minutes you get a firmware flashed successfully and the receiver is powered back on!!

All settings were wiped out, had to reset all distances, bass stuff, and remembered to "EXPAND" the menu to be able to set the cutoff freq's etc... minor pain. (and all the FM presets etc..).

If anyone really finds out what this firmware does, except for it fixes the 6.1 decode problem, please enlighted us all

Thanks
Alex

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Alex, Can you make the Cinema-EX modes work independently off the Dolby Pro Logic? i.e. When you switch a 2 channel mode to Cinema Modes, does it still say Dolby Pro Logic? There is an outside chance that after the upgrade, the Cinema-EX modes work the same as DA5ES?

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,

I put in a 2ch stero CD, pressed 2ch stereo,
only the left and right front speakers are indicated and circled.

I then press Cinema-EX Mode:

Subwoofer, Left, Right and center are indicated and circled, along with the PROLOGIC to the right of this row.
The Surround left and surround right speakers are outlined but no SL or SR inside of the indicators.

I am using 5.1 setup, soon to add ONE rear speaker.

Looks like Cinema is still tied to the hip with Prologic. I see noway to turn it off??? But maybe I am missing something..

Alex

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Thanks Alex. Actually it's not as bad as it's made out to be. I tried a DA5ES in my house couple of weeks ago and the Cinema Modes sounded very similar to that of the 4ES for music. It's not like the 5ES and older Sony ESs were providing 5 full frequency channels to begin with. Were they?

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,

I find myself using the cinema-EX B mode when I listen to FM music, and Dolby Digital only movies...I just seem to prefer this 'mix' mode...

I do a lot of 2ch stereo listening, but I am sampling SACD's now and have found a few that are really blowing me away, what a really neat experience when they are done well.

I should have a rear center only for 6.1 soon and am really anxious to try a 6.1 encoded DVD ie Gladiator etc...

I still would like to get some word from SONY about what this Firmware flash really is?? or what it 'fixes'...

Aint this fun!

Alex

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I for one will wait on installing this upgrade. Too many uncertainties. I too was on the phone with Sony( Got no where). Yes, they are still clueless and the left hand doesn't even know the right exist! I am only running a 5.1 set-up now. I also want to make sure the new upgrade is bug free. I know Sony had an upgrade for the pre-pro that contained some glitches. My DA5ES is running error free so I will not introduce any new software. I will however call my trusty salesman at Ultimate Electronics where I purchased the unit to see if he can shed some light on the subject. It is so cool that this info is available to us through the members help. Again, what a cool forum!

terence

Supporting Actor
Hey Alex what name brand and modle # serial cable that used for the upgrade to your 4ES?

I having problems with my upgrade to my 4ES. Also did the current firmware version come up when you flashed or did it say unknown?

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Terance,

I used a old "laplink' serial cable...its not a straight thru cable. Being a ET (electronics technican) I had one in the shop.

The wiring is just like in the instructions from SONY.

I just checked the pin to pin wiring to be sure, with a Ohmmeter.

If you go to radioshack or ask another pc techie, for a serial cross over cable or a 'laplink' cable it will work.

Back in the old days before everyone had a ethernet LAN adapter (NIC) in their pc , and you wanted to move files or 'stuff' from one pc to another, you would connect the serial ports of the pcs, use a program called Laplink to establish the connection between the two serial ports and the Laplink program would allow data transfre of files back and forth..this is the type of cable SONY calls out. NOT one wire pin 1 to pin 1. Hence the name 'cross-over) becauses its not a 1 to one wired cable.

The firmware update comes with a pdf file you can browse and the sequence was exactly as show, and the firmware info came up correctly.

Unfortunatley there is no way I can tell what the firmware level is, unless you were to go and run the update to the point where it gets this info displayed on the PC via SONY's window update/flash program.

I played all sorts of stuff on the 5.1 setup, DVD, FM, all DSP modes, SACD multichannel etc...I cant tell anything has changed.

I think, that this flash fixes the 6.1 decode stuff..if this is correct I will be playing with 6.1 in the near future. I have ordered one rear back and will be trying that out in a week or two.

If you ever flashed a PC BIOS this is the kind of thing this is. not very hard to do...

Best of Luck!
Alex

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Alex,
Since you have successfully flashed your 4ES, maybe you can help to alleviate any converns I have before doing this. As you may know, the North American version of the 4ES is different from the Asian version, is different from the European and Australian version ("VA333ES"), etc. The NA version has the 12V triggers and IR in/out jacks, and the others do not. I am concerned that possibly applying this update to the NA 4ES will disable some of the features unique to this version. Is the 12V Trigger configuration still available in the menus?

Also (this is minor), I noticed that on my 4ES, dts-ES matrix material will show up as "3/3" on the display instead of the more appropriate "3/2+1" or "3/2:3". Is this still the case? Is the information displayed when spinning the jog dial still the same? Does it display the firmware version at the end of that information now?

Back to something that NickSP was asking about pro-logic in the Cinema EX modes: after activating a Cinema EX mode on a stereo source (like CD), go to the Customize (or is it Surround?) menu... one of the first items is the 2 Ch Decode Mode. On the "old" 4ES, it is dimmed and 'stuck' at Pro-Logic. On the 5ES, this is configurable to DPL-II or NEO:6 if desired. How is it on the 'new' 4ES? (You'll also notice the same menu item in "Normal Surround" mode, but it is changable in this mode).

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

Hello, I am at work and will look into your questions later and post.

But I do remember some stuff...

The same information appears when you rotate the jog dial, no firmware at either end of the txt string.

I thought about this and it would be nice to see this, if I could ever get to a knowledgeable SONY rep on the phone I would ask them if there is anyway to determine this.

If you attach the cable and PC the flash utility seems to be able to get this info from the firmware in receiver.

I did notice the 12v trigger stuff is still there, I dont use it but its on the menus..whether or not if it works the way it did etc...would require more investigating..

I will look at the DTS display tonight (late afternoon) and let you know...

I also will check the Cinema EX mode using 2ch cd and look at the customize menu and let you know also...

Thanks for all your posts in the past, enjoyable reading.

Later
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks