What's new

Sony DA5ES and DTS-ES Discrete problem fixed by new firmware (1 Viewer)

Terry Watkins

Auditioning
I've downloaded this upgrade and have a question about the instructions. It says you must have a dos/v PC? I'm unfamiliar witht the term dos/v? I would like to attempt this upgrade, but since it's from an Asian website, not listed at all on Sony's US website, I'm a little hesitent. Anyone that can help????

Michael_JB

Grip
Hey, I just finished the upgrade. It works perfect!! Took about 3 minutes. Basically you just need any PC that has windows 98 or less and a cross-over serial cable. It says it won't work with XP, so I didn't try it. Huge Thanks to the original poster!:D

I have been trying to make this work and am having problems. First of all, it says to disconnect the power supply of the amplifier. What did anyone here who it worked for do and can you please explain what you unplugged (if anything). Second of all, please post what cable you used. Is just a standard rs232c interlink cord gonna do it? Based on what I read this should do it. The instructions are clear as mud on this power supply thing and any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Just to have some more information for those searching on the problem here is the download information from the Sony (Singapore) website...

Update Software (Version 1.61) For STR-DA5ES/VA555E

Applicable Model : STR-DA5ES,STR-VA555ES
Operating System : Windows 95/ 98/ 2000

This is the software update for STR-DA5ES/VA555ES using Flash Writer.

Update Software (Version 1.61) For STR-DA5ES/VA555E

This upgrades the amplifier main firmware.

Note: No particular program installation is needed.

Items required
1. Self extracting FLASH overwriting program (ESup0161.exe)
2. Latest FLASH program file (es3V174.bin)
3. RS-232C cross cable (Inter-link cable etc.)
4. DOS/V PC with RS232C port and Windows® 95/ 98/ 2000 installed.
(Windows® XP is not compatible.)
5. STR-DA5ES/VA555ES

Important Note
1. Disconnect the power supply of the amplifier before updating is carry out.
2. Disconnect the RS-232C cable before connecting back the amplifier to the power supply. Otherwise, symptoms such as abnormal display, abnormal sound and noise may occur when turning on/off the power supply of the computer, which could damage either the power amplifier or the speakers.
3. DO NOT disconnect the power supply to the amplifier main unit while installing the FLASH overwriting program. The disconnection will damage the FLASH memory installed in the amplifier.

1. Update Software (Version 1.61) For STR-DA5ES/VA555E (filename: VA555es.exe).

Download size: 1.023MB
Originally Posted: 21th November 2002

1. Connect the computer with the amplifier
a. Turn off the power supply of the computer and amplifier, and connect them with the RS-232C cross type cable.
b. Connect one end of the cable to the serial port (COM1, COM2) of the computer, and the other end to the RS-232C connector located on the rear side of the amplifier main unit.

For cross cable, Inter-link cable is recommended. RS232C cross cable (9pin-9pin) for connecting DOS/V can also be used.

Inter-link connection diagram
Dsub 9pin Dsub 9pin
2 -------- 3
3 -------- 2
4 -------- 6
5 -------- 5
6 -------- 4
7 -------- 8
8 -------- 7
Frame -------- Frame

Recommended cables :
a. Sanwa Supply KRS-L09-2K or equivalent (Inter-link)
b. Sanwa Supply KRS-403XF1K or equivalent (Cross cable)

2. Amplifier boot-up and FLASH WRITER startup
a. Switch on both the amplifier and the computer.
b. Create a new folder on the hard disk using Explorer
c. Copy the two downloaded .exe files into the new folder.
d . Double-click the FLASH overwriting program (ESup0161.exe) icon to start the FLASH Overwrite Program on the hard disk.

3. Select communication criteria and program file
a. Select the COM port that was connected at Step One in COM PORT No. of the FLASH WRITER windows
b. Select the BAUD RATE communication speed.
In most cases, overwriting at 57,600bps is possible. Reduce the speed only when overwrite error occurrs due to the noise.
c. Click the FILE SELECT button located on the left bottom corner of the window to select and open the latest FLASH program file (es3V174.bin).
d. STR-DA5ES/STR-VA555ES/DA3ES is displayed in the center of the window.
e. Click the Next button that is available and input mf8mxk into the CD KEY box.

A confirmation panel of the model name of the amplifier appears.
Note: The version number may appear in the last part of Current Version. This is not a malfunction.

4. Implementation and completion of overwriting
a. Ensure that the power supply of the amplifier is on.
b. Press START which is located at the bottom center of the window to start the upgrading.
Upgrading process will takes about five minutes. While overwriting, do not turn off the power of amplifier and the computer.
The status of the upgrade can be confirmed at the displayed bar above the window.
b. Once the following message is displayed, press OK and click QUIT.
c. Turn off the amplifier and remove the RS-232C cable.

Troubleshooting
1. It is normal for the power supply to go on/off for several times until the upgrading is completed.
2. In case of Communication Error after pressing the Start button, please refer to the following:
a. Is power supplied to the amplifier?
b. Are the cables connected firmly?
c. Is the correct RS-232C cable used? (Overwrite cannot be done with the straight connection type cable)
d. Is the cable connected to the correct COM PORT number?
e. Is the connected COM PORT available on the computer? (Check to see if the installed modem occupies the port.)
3. Please be sure to copy the FLASH Overwrite program and the latest FLASH program file to the hard disk before use. Booting up from the floppy disk may cause failure due to the slow access speed.
4. In case of unsuccessful overwriting, press START and start the overwriting from the beginning.
5. Overwriting may fail if other Windows® program is started during the operation

Michael_JB

Grip
I used a Belkin DB9 serial cross cable (null-modem cable),made for transfering files between computers. This is what you will need. A standard "straight through" serial cable will not work.
Step by step, I did:
-Computer off/receiver off,unplugged
-connected rs232 "crosslink" cable to both
-plugged in receiver,turned receiver on
-turned computer on,started updater program and selected com port
-upgrade started/took about 3.5 minutes
-turned receiver off/unplugged it
-disconnected rs232 crosslink cable
-tried rush hour 2 and blade 2, both came up as 3/3 6.1 discrete decoding! Finally! I got the cable at bestbuy, any other questions?
Mike

SvenS

Second Unit
It's SOOO nice that Sony put the serial connection on the receiver and actually intended to (and now have) use it for the convenience it's was designed to be there for. It's really economically smart as they save a lot of money not having to pay repair facilities to do this (who probably would be charging $75 or so to do it)! And they covered themselves by the disclaimer before the software download as well.

When I have done this update and all is well I will be happy to flash anyones receiver for them (no charge of course) if they are in the Chicagloand area.

Michael_JB,

Thanks for posting those steps. I could see the confusion some are having with the step that says "disconnect the power supply".

I'm assuming you didn't have trouble with that or is the instructions saying that there may be noise that comes across the speakers during the transfer?

I'm also assuming your unit works fine now, reports that the 1.61 firmware is installed (cursor to the right, I think).

This is great new for me. With all of the problems that I had with my 50ES (yes, my current 5ES is a replacement that Sony sent me for all of the troubles), I DID NOT want to ship my 5ES just for the firmware upgrade.

Now that I can do it myself, my faith in Sony is slightly restored.

Michael_JB

Grip
Yeah, I was a little uncertain about the power supply wording but I have a good background in electronics so I went ahead with the the steps I posted above. I had absolutely no problems at all, everything did as it was supposed to and, like I said, only took a couple minutes to do the whole process. Definitely a lot better than having it sit in a repair shop for who knows how long! Unit works great, firmware version reported by receiver is actually 1.74, not exactly sure why they say 1.61 in the instructions but I did notice the file download is actually labeled 1.74. This is the same number reported by someone who had the repair shop update his awhile ago.
Mike

FrankJo

Grip
Hello people

My unit is also upgraded, but now i have problems to store the FM radio channels with the automatically storing, i have to store them manually.

I use the antenna which come with the receiver, and i have it on the wall, and the signal is strong, but then i try to store them automatically the seeking goes into an loop, its going from one channel to an other and it would not stop, and then i try to stretch the antenna over the floor and the signal is weaker , it seeks fine, but i cant get all channels stored.

I am very happy with this receiver , and of course i can use the radio if i store them manually, but i don't like to have problem with it.

So i wounder if some of you have that problems

Allen_cmc

Auditioning
So happy that everyone fixed the bug by themselves, actually I tried to find the firmware for a long time until a AV forum post the link in Taiwan, now I'm satisfied with my VA-555ES.

BTY, I didn't removed others system when flash firmware, just keep others power off.

Allen

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Thank you Allen for the link & thank you Sony for stepping up & fixing the problem:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: My buddie is going to help me do mine this next coming weekend since I'm a computer idiot, I hope it works out for mine too.

Belgarath

Agent
Cool, thanks for the link and info.
About 2 months ago I read in a thread on this forum that someone had had their 5ES upgraded in a shop to version 1.74.
So I called Sony Technical Support in Germany and tried to get some info on where and how to get the update for my STR-VA555ES.
There the guy told me there was no such upgrade available and there never would be, and to top it of he told me the 555ES could not be upgraded, there was no connection for it.
All this time I was looking at the page in the manual describing the RS232 port and that it is used for upgrading the hardware.
What a Dork! :)
Anyway, this all proves once again, that when you want something done, do it yourself...
Belgarath

Success. My Unit is now at Version 1.74. I had the wrong cable. Made the right one and the upgrade went without a hitch. Thanks everyone for the input

Regards

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if I missed it, but do any of you folks who've performed this upgrade own a DA4ES? If so, I'm wondering a few things:

On the DA4ES, how do you check the firmware version? It's not the same as the method used to check the firmware on the DA5ES.

For those DA5ES owners, did this upgrade add any functionality to your receiver (like dts 96/24)?

Since my DA4ES is performing fine, I see no reason to perform this update just yet, especially since I don't know how to confirm that this firmware version is actually newer than the one I already have.

C

Chris*Liberti

I already downloaded this file I have a DA4ES on its way to me and I believe once you get to the point right before you flash it reeds the memory of the receiver and tells you what version you have. I will let you know as soon as I get mine.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
4ES owners should note that there is a separate upgrade available for it! Do not attempt to use the 5ES upgrade. Unfortunately, searching for updates for the STR-DA4ES shows nothing. You have to search for the 7ES. You will then find an update called "Update Software (Version 1.73) for STR-DA4ES,STR-DA7ES,STR-VA333ES". This was released the same day as the update for the 5ES (Nov 21st 2002).
The direct link to the 4ES update is here

I completed this upgrade last night on my 5ES. Everything appears to be just fine. "Blade 2" works perfectly now using DTS-ES. Here are a few things I noticed during the upgrade.

The flashing program wasn't able to determine the model of my receiver. There is a point in the process where it queries the receiver, and the receiver model came back "unknown". It continued anyway without a problem.

I turned my speakers off during the process. The instructions mentioned disconnecting the power supply. Not sure if it really matters though.

The first part of the process involves erasing the flash memory (according to the message of the update utility). Watching both the PC display and the receiver's display, you'll see various messages like "Flashing memory" and "Reprogramming the DSP". The display on the receiver will turn off and on several times as well.

I used a Win 98 laptop with a fully charge battery and had the reciever on a UPS. Just like flashing the BIOS of PC, I'm sure a power failure would not be a good thing.

The whole process took me about five minutes.

At the end, you'll have to reconfigure the receiver with any custom input names, setup speakers, EQ, etc. as it resets it to factory defaults on all settings.

The firmware should read 1.74 when you use the "knob" to scroll to all the way to the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks