Sony DA555ES Alternate Remote Control?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David*E, Jun 30, 2003.

1. David*E

David*E Auditioning

Hi,

I have had the STR-DA555ES for several years but have not used it very much because I hate the LCD remote control (did not realize that when I bought it). It is hard to see and the display goes away too quickly. Other than that, I love the receiver and it is all that I need.

Does anyone know of an alternate way to control this receiver such as another better remote or anything else?

Thanks,
    Dave
    [​IMG]

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I used to own a Sony DA50ES, which was basically the same receiver as the DA5555ES without the 5.1 analog inputs. The two receivers shared the same remote, so I know first hand how you feel about the device.

I bought a Marantz RC2000 MKII several years ago to replace the LCD touchscreen that came with the ES receiver. This is a learning-only remote, so it was a challenge to teach all the infrared controls to the Marantz, since the Sony's remote uses a two-way communication that seemed to confuse the Marantz's learning capabilities at times. It took a lot of time and patience to program all the codes, and I cheated a little by using the remote from an old Sony ProLogic receiver whenever possible (it shared a lot of the same IR codes).

The Sony LCD remote is the only device that I've ever had this type of difficulty in teaching codes to the RC2000 remote. I have programmed a new receiver, three different brands of DVD players, two CD players, two VCRs, two different brands of TVs, an HD tuner and a camcorder to the remote without any problems.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I recently decommissioned my exact same DA555ES (and yes, I hated that remote and never used it) and bought an NAD T762 receiver, which came with a learning hard-button remote (HTR2 I think it's called). Let me just say, yes a learning remote is a bit of an investment as far as initially programming it and teaching it your other remotes' codes, but after that initial investment of time (about 10-15 minutes for 4 remotes for me) I have been as happy as a clam!

I say just pick up a nice, very programmable (as in a lot of keys) learning remote and start plugging away. After your initial programming time you will be so thankful to finally have one remote that can "do it all."

Even Sony make decent hard button learning remotes, and their proprietary codes will already be in those, check those out!

Oh also, a good resource: www.remotecentral.com

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I just picked up a brand new RC2000 MK II for $129, so if you check around, you may be able to find one cheap as well. I have owned 2 of these things, and I am quite pleased with them. A little big, but handles everything and never gets lost [​IMG] Decent battery life too.

5. David*E

David*E Auditioning

Thanks for your responses. I am trying to decide between the Sony RM-VL1000 and the Marantz RC2000 MK II. Dave :b

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

David, check out that www.remotecentral.com site and do a search for those remotes. Though they aren't officially reviewed, you'll find reader reviews on them. Apparently the VL1000 does not score nearly as well as the cheaper, older VL900 (like 4.5/5 stars vs. 3/5 stars)! The people are, in general, helpful in pointing out the strengths and weaknesses (you'll still occasionally get those people who won't be pleased with anything).

Good luck!

7. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

I'm another to jump on the universal remote bandwagon, I had the STR-DA333ES which had a different but equally awful remote as your 555es. Initially I used the Marantz RC5000 which like liked but over time I realized my tastes are for tactile remotes. When I upgraded to seperates my Pre-Pro came with the MX-700 which I love. I totally agree about going up to remotecentral.com and reading some reviews of the various remotes. After you find the right one for you and invest some time programming it you will won't look back. It's kind of like when you initially bought your dvd player and then found watching VHS offensive.

Good hunting!

8. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

My 2 cents...

I am kind of a remote junkie. I've set up or tried several. With 2 exceptions, they've all been button-based. IMO, touchscreens have one Achillies' Heel. Anything much past volume or channel change requires looking away from the TV and having to stare at the screen to find the function you're wanting...

So, with buttons in mind, my current favorite for the $110-$120 range is the Home Theater Master MX-500. No offense guys but users that have tried both have overwhelmingly said that it outclasses the RC-2000 MkII in any way you want to compare. Weight distribution, infrared reach (MUCH MUCH more powerful than the Marantz), readability of the LCD labels, number of characters per LCD label (5 vs. 4), etc. Heck, it even fits in the hand better. Not to mention that if you want to make the MX-500 even better, a couple of gifted users have created a PC link for it. It's a bit pricey and not essential but it does make using one even better. (http://www.irclone.com) (I think at this point, they have had a parts delivery issue but will soon be ready to start shipping again.)

2 good e-tailers for the MX-500 are
    http://surfremotecontrol.com
    http://www.bluedo.com

As for teaching Sony commands from one of the 2-way remotes, the best shot at it is to do the teaching in another room. Get the screen up you want on the Sony touchscreen, then take the remote into another room to do the teaching/learning. It will usually work but Sony commands often take more than one try to learn. I have a friend that has a 50ES and he was able to get the codes he needed but it took quite a bit of patience. (BTW, he went from the Sony remote to a Marantz RC-2000 Mk II and then on to an MX-500. He has said on numerous occasions that he would never go back to the Marantz...)