SONY DA4ES Vs. SONY DA5ES question:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin L K, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Just curious--is the 5ES "better" then the 4ES? It seems to be more well regarded then the 4ES and people seem to be ecstatic when they run into one, plus it seems to go for a higher price. I am aware of the differences between the two but do you 5ES owners feel it is a nicer unit then the 4ES? I realize that the 4ES can be had for about $620 on line but a local B&M has a 5ES for approx $600(demo unit)--is that a good deal? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

I have a Da4Es and its a really great receiver...the price for this 7/1 capable system is really ok when compared to the 5es. no 7.1 capability in it out of the box, only 6.1.

But its still a great receiver...I wanted the ability to do 6.1 and 7.1 and possibly 96/24 source material..

Best of luck!
    Alex

3. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

Not sure where you are getting your info from on the 5ES but it is a 6.1 NOT 5.1 Amped receiver! It also does 7.1 with a external amp for the second rear surround.

4. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, SvevS,

Sorry, I was mistaken...too much information floating around in my head!! (smile).

The only real difference I see between the two is 7 ch amp vs 7ch amp capability....everything else is basically the same function wise..?? But....

The 4ES has 2 mutichannel outputs one 5.1 and one 7.1. Dont know if the 5es has both?? Also the 4es has a 7 preamp output, ie future expansion?? Dont think the 5ES would have this..

If you go 7.1 you have to add the seventh amp and that costs and not only the amp but more cables...more cost..

Best of Luck.
    Alex

PS: Check out this link from Aaron..http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=102711

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

A friend of mine told me that the only reason he bought a 4ES over the 5ES was that the 5ES used Sony's own proprietary decoding modes such as DD-EX and DTS-ES as suggested in he manual. Any truth to that?

7. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

8. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

And one thing to note... creating a DD-EX decoder is not rocket science as the specs are clearly written out by Dolby Labs so someone who wants to make their own already has the specs to do so. I have yet to hear a single person say the Sony Decoder is at all different then the official DD one in sound quality.