What's new

Sony DA4ES speaker crossover settings? (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Riel

Agent
I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I have a Sony DA4ES driving Energy C-2s in the front, an AC300 center and C-1s for surrounds. I just purchased a HSU STF-2 sub-woofer. I have all speakers set to small and I have the sub-woofer set to out using the DA4ES internal crossover. I have lowered the LFE High Cut crossover to 80Hz with all the other speakers set to the 120Hz which is standard on the DA4ES. My question is should I set all the speaker crossover settings to the same setting as the LFE High Cut crossover?

Thanks...................... Tom

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
No. The LFE High Cut crossover has nothing to do with your speaker crossover settings. This setting tells the receiver to discard all LFE signal above the crossover frequency you choose.

The only reason I could think to lower this setting to 80 Hz is if your subwoofer did not do higher frequencies very well, although I doubt there is much (if any) LFE signal above 80 Hz.

However, I don't think it makes sense to have the LFE high cut (80 Hz) set lower than the crossover for your mains (120 Hz) because you're sending frequencies 120 Hz and below from your other speakers to your sub, but you're only sending 80 Hz and down for LFE.

Also, although your receiver may have 120 Hz as the default crossover setting for your speakers, it may not necessarily be the ideal setting.

Thomas_Riel

Agent
So what I gather is I should set the fronts, center and surrounds to 80Hz since I want to use 80Hz as an initial guideline and the LFE High Cut should be at least 80Hz?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions............ Tom

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
The settings for the fronts, center and surrounds will depend on the frequency response of your speakers. A good rule is at least 10 Hz above where your speakers frequency starts to drop off. For example, if your mains can extend down to 50 Hz before any sound level (dB) dropoff occurs, then set the crossover for your mains to 60 Hz (or higher).

80 Hz is generally a good place to start. Some people prefer to set the crossover for all their speakers to 80 Hz (THX standard), regardless of the frequency response.

Generally, full range speakers that have lower bass extension can have a lower crossover setting than smaller, satellite speakers.

As for the LFE High Cut, yes, I would put that at least as high as your crossovers. Keep in mind that any LFE material above this setting will be lost, but again, I don't think there is much LFE above 80 Hz anyway.

terence

Supporting Actor
Thomas,

I would i.e. your CC is rated to go low as 40Hz, so set the CC XO @ 50Hz so the sub will blend in well when the CC when it starts to roll off. If your speakers play bass lower than 120Hz then set the XO to the appropriable specs. 120Hz is too high unless your speakers are sattilites.

Thomas_Riel

Agent
Ok correct me if I'm wrong, my Energy C-2s have a frequency response ( db) of 40Hz-25Hz which according to what you guys are saying is that I should set the crossover to 10Hz over the 40Hz mark?

Thanks........ Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks