Sony DA4ES Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Stone, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

On the Sony DA4ES receiver, can the surround back speaker distance be set closer than the surround side speaker distance? I know Sony puts some speaker distance setting restrictions (ie not being able to set the center channel speaker distance greater than the front left/right speaker distance) on their receivers and I'm curious as to what restrictions (if any) they have relative to the side surrounds and rear surrounds in a 6.1/7.1 setup. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

2. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Dan, I suspect not. I'll check my DA5ES when I get home. I should be the same.

Seth

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

I may be wrong, but the usual limitation is that no speaker can be set furthur away than the main front pair. The limitation you suggested would be very restrictive, because in many rooms, the surround back speakers cannot be placed very far back (sofa/chairs are often at or near one end of the room, not square in the middle).

4. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Dan,

From an absolute standpoint--yes. I have a DA4ES, and the L/R surrounds (surround side, as you put it) are set at 6 ft, with the surround backs at 3 (or was it 4--my memory is pretty bad these days) ft; IIRC the absolute minimum distance that can be set for the surrounds (both L/R and SB) is 3 feet (or was it 4--I don't have the manual in front of me). OTOH--if I'm misinterpreting what you're asking...well, I don't have the answer to that.

5. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

TonyTone,

Thanks for the info. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Dan

6. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Just a comment,
    If you set the speakers distances to be set in metric rather than feet, you get much smaller granularity. You can set speaker distances in increments of 0.1 metre (i.e. 10 cm) if the receiver is set to metric, but the increment is 1 foot (equal to 30.5 cm) if set to feet. This may be an important difference for the obsessive tweaker, even though many people wouldn't care. If you have a hard time thinking about distances in metric, just remember that a metre is very close to a yard (it's actually about 39.5 inches, not 36).

7. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Ah, I'll have to check that on my DA4ES; the distances for my surrounds are 'tweeners when the measurement unit is in feet. If indeed setting unit to "meter" gives more granularity--why not get the distance as accurately as you can get it?

8. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Hey, that tip is so good, it should go in the FAQ or something! [​IMG] [​IMG]