Sony DA4ES Protection Mode

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ed Cherry, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Ed Cherry

Ed Cherry Auditioning

I use my Sony DA4ES as a preamp only (do not use any internal amps) ... however, when pushing it hard yesterday playing a DTS demo DVD at -20db the Sony shut down with the display showing "Protection". It was pretty warm (the Sony)... it does have a good 6" of clearance above it. Is there a particular setting for the receiver that will do away with this annoyance? A way to disconnect the amps from power?

Thanx in advance for your ideas/experiences.

2. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Set the 4/8 Ohm switch on the back of the receiver to the 4 Ohm position. This lowers the voltage of the amplifier power supply rails, which will reduce the power dissipation of the amplifiers.

Did you have the speaker switch to "Off"? Try that as well.

You could also try removing fuses F801 and F802, which supply power to the amplfiers. The receiver may detect a fault condition if these are removed (or blown) but if it does not, then you will definitely disable the amps and avoid the heat they generate. F801 and 802 are located on the main power supply board, next to the two large capacitors. Please be careful; there probably will be a residual charge of up to 80 VDC on each of these capacitors, for a total of 160 VDC of potential - enough to kill you. Take it to a technician to perform this modification if you do not know how to do it safely.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

4. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

30 to 40,000 microfarad of capacitance may not have enough stored charges to actually kill someone but could sure give a nasty shock. Wait long enough, it will discharge itself.

5. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I too am using a DA4ES as a pre/pro and thought of turning the the speaker selection switch to "OFF" but it must be tied into the pre-outs because I lose the sound through my amp with it set to off. Kinda curious as to why Sony designed it like this.

Matt