Sony DA3ES vs Sony V444ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Razvan V, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

I stopped by a Good Guys store this evening and they had the new DA3ES receiver on display next to a 444Es. I couldn't compare the two receivers soundwise as they were not connected but the DA3ES is heavier and much better built. In fact the DA3ES seemed to be heavier than the Denon 4802! To my surprise, the DA3ES also has a RS232 port for future upgrades. The salesperson told me that the new ES receivers are closer in design to the celebrated DA777ES and that they are much better than last year's V series receivers. They didn't have the DA5ES in stock, that one should be out shortly.

Razvan

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Razvan, thanks for the info. I will have to get over to a local Tweeter store to see if the new models are in. One Tweeter store in my area had empty places on the shelves with placards in place last week in anticipation of the arrival of these new receivers. Based on what you saw of the 'DA3ES, it could be a really good deal for $685 from Oade Bros. I wasn't aware that the 'DA3ES would offer an RS-232 port. For some reason, I thought only the 'DA5ES would offer one.

3. Razvan V

Keith,

I was really surprised that the DA3ES had the RS232 port, I too thought that only the DA5ES had one. So far I saw 3 DA3ES units and 2 of them displayed the volume control problem that the V series have. And the DA3ES doesn't have DPLII. I think that the DA5ES might be a better deal if bought for less than $1000.

Razvan

4. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

What's this volume control problem? Inaccurate dial?

Cheers,

Mal

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Razvan, the volume control problem on the 'DA3ES is very disappointing. It rarely occurs on my 'V444ES now, and when it does, it only happens for a second or two, but I would have expected Sony to have fixed it with the new model(s). Obviously, Sony is using the same parts/assembly method there.

DPL II isn't a big deal to me, so if I were to replace the 'V444ES, I would consider the 'DA3ES, unless the 'DA5ES blew its doors off. That certainly is possible. The extra $500 retail should get you more than just DTS-ES, DPL II, etc. It should get you a significantly larger power supply, better circuitry, etc. for better sound. Oade Bros. is taking pre-orders on the 'DA5ES for $985, by the way.

6. Razvan V

Keith,

The DA5ES has more power, it's 110 w x 6. What's weird is that both receivers weigh the same, 20 kgs, so maybe internally they're almost the same.

I compared DPLII to Cinema Studio Ex B and thought that they're very close so you're not missing much, if anything, by not having DPLII.

The volume control problem drove me crazy, I had two 444ES units and they both had this problem. I got rid of them. However, one of the 3ES units I checked out seemed to work OK... I tried the DB1070 too and noticed no problems at all with the volume control...

Razvan

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Razvan, thanks for the weight spec. for the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES. Maybe they are similar receivers in terms of performance. The 'DA5ES has more surround-sound modes and a few other bells and whistles, but the relative performance in Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 is all that really matters to me.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Crutchfield now has the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES in stock.

9. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Razvan,
    Thanks for the updates on the new Sony ES receivers. It's interesting to hear that the DA3 has the RS232 port. It's beginning to look like the 5 and 3 are identical except for the remote, labels and perhaps the firmware. Are there any other difference - multizone?
    Also, can you tell me if the new series gets as hot as the V series when set to 8 ohms?
    It's dissappointing to hear that the new units exhibit the volume control nuisance. But for $600ish I think I'd certainly try one again. I miss my V444es[​IMG]

10. Razvan V

Gil,

Sorry but I don't know if the new receivers get as hot as the V series when run in 8 ohms... I hope not!

Razvan