What's new

Sony DA3ES or DB1070? Or???? (2 Viewers)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Keith! Am I having reading comprehension problems again?????? It looked like to me that there were numerous differences in the 3es and 5es(dolby 2, ES discrete,3 room 3 source, deluxe remote, etc.). And I did notice the weight! But they said my 333es weighed #24. No way!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earl, my understanding is that the 'DA5ES has more features and a better remote than the 'DA3ES, but they are identical in terms of power supply, DACs, and other key parts inside. According to the joint owner's manual for the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES (they share one manual), they both weigh about 44 lbs.

Maybe your 'M333ES does weigh 24 lbs. Have you weighed it? Manufacturers tend to be accurate with such specs. On the flipside, I don't think my 'CX333ES 300-disc megachangers weigh 24 lbs., though they are built rather well.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Ted, you are correct. There is a 10- or 20-watt difference per channel between the two receivers. However, since the manual says the two receivers weigh exactly the same amount, I assumed there isn't a major difference in the power supplies used in the two models. Perhaps I am wrong.

Lenny O

Auditioning
The DA5ES and DA3ES are different based on features, not build quality. With the 5, you get DPL2, 3 source/3 room, a few more watts, and discrete ES modes. Plus the LCD remote (which is the same I think as supplied with the DE925 I already have - the wife hates it). Since Sony provides their own surround modes, some of which are quite cool, I figured I did not need the DPL2, I don't have 3 rooms to wire up, only two (BTW: any decent wireless speakers out there?), and wife hates the LCD remote. SO, for my situation, and $300 fewer, the DA3ES was the way to go. As always, YMMV. Having the 7.1 pre-outs though is extremely cool! This is truly an upgradeable beast. And since the jury is still out on SACD vs. DVD-A, it pays to be able to use both if you want to. Plus a 5 year warranty!

The receiver should show up today. I am curious how much better it will sound over the DE925.

Nestor_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
I've had both the 3ES and the 3802 in my system (RP-91, 555ES SACD player and Pradigm Ref. 60's were the other links in the chain) and I can confirm that the Sony is a very fine receiver. As someone has already mentioned, nothing comes close to the bass management and two multi-channel inputs. It's immensely tweakable (its easy to rename and reassign inputs, the analog direct mode for any analog input is great, etc.) and, as far as features are concerned, the differences between the 3ES and the 5ES are not as great as they sound. The 6.1 decoding can be set to auto, so that it only decodes a rear surround channel if the source is flagged as such, or you can turn it on to extract that 6th channel from any 5.1 source. When it's set to "auto," I'll be damned if I can discern the difference between the Sony's extraction and DTS-ES Matrix or Discrete (if you're listening that closely to the rear surround speaker only, you might be missing a perfectly good movie).

I won't get into the differences in "sound quality" between the Denon and the Sony, that's for each of you to decide for yourselves, but for me (note that I did not have the two units at the same time -- I returned the Sony, then got the Denon to try before deciding once and for all) there were none. Uh, differences, that is. That made the Sony an easy choice for me. The bass management and two multichannel inputs were REAL advantages, whereas the name-brand surround modes are a little more of a gray area.

If you're looking for a receiver in this price range, you're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring the Sony ES. For my money, it was better than the Denon.

Nestor

James Elvick

Supporting Actor
Nestor,

Thanks for your comments on both units. I'm thinking of using the Sony 3es/5es as a preamp only as I'm using the 3802 currently.

Without expanding too much:b Please help me with some of sound differences between these two fine receivers in:

a: Analog direct

b: Surround

Also it would be helpful to know some of the associated equipment your using such as source and speakers.

Thanks

James Elvick

Nestor_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
James,

I think I already shared most of the information you're looking for in my previous post, but here goes:

Speakers: Paradigm Studio 60's and CC up front, PSB Alphas and Alpha Center for surrounds.

Sources: Sony 555ES SACD player, Panasonic RP91 DVD-A player

The sound in Analog Direct mode on the Denon and the Sony are virtually identical, as they should be. Ditto for Dolby Digital/DTS decoding. I suppose the Denon has the edge for 6.1 channel decoding (because it has true DTS-ES discrete and matrix), though I admit that I didn't notice much of a difference (as I said, I didn't have the units simultaneously). If you get the 5ES, this is moot, since it also has DTS-ES.

It seems a little strange to use the Sony as a pre/pro with the Denon's amp section driving your speakers. I don't care what anybody says -- the amps in these two receivers, occupying the same price point and featuring virtually identical power ratings -- are going to be completely indistinguishible. If you have a beefy separate amp, on the other hand, and are planning on selling/moving the Denon, the Sony would make a GREAT pre/pro.

The one caveat, I would say, is that the Denon is a significantly better looking piece of gear.

Nestor

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Find your lowest price on the internet and ebay and ask will they meet it. Always vote with your wallet. Don't pay too much! I waited and got a great deal! Be patient! The new models will drive all these prices even lower.:D :D :D

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Are they an authorized seller of Sony ES? I dont want to run into any warranty problems because I didnt buy from an authorized dealer.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Nestor said:

The sound in Analog Direct mode on the Denon and the Sony are virtually identical, as they should be.
Why should it be? Sure, you are using the DAC in the player in both cases, but you are talking about different circuitry, power supplies, and amps that the analog signals are being routed through. Why should one assume that the Sony STR-DA5ES and Denon AVR-3802 will sound the same? Just because they sound the same to your ear in your system does not mean that one should expect them to sound the same. Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. If DACs can make a difference, so can amps, power supplies, and other circuitry. It doesn't matter that the two receivers in question carry the same retail price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks