Sony DA2ES question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ron.T, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

Ok guys, I have this receiver at home now. So far, I am pretty happy with it. I do have a question though. I have my speakers and sub hooked up properly I believe. When I push the Auto Detect button (for music), I get sound out of the front speakers as well as the sub. But when I select either 2CH Stereo, or Analog Direct, I get sound from the front speakers, but not the sub. Does this sound correct? Thanks for any help.

Ron

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Ron- That's correct. Automatic Decode is a digital prosess which allows for LFE's to be re-directed to the subwoofer. Analog Direct does not allow for this except in the situation when an SACD/DVD-A player is connected and the player itself allows for bass mgt. In this case, all bass would be controlled by the player and not the receiver.

3. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

So then, how do I get the sub to play in Analog Direct or 2CH? Thanks for the reply.

Ron

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Ron- Analog Direct plays to the full benefit of owners of large full range speakers ,the rest of us have to suck it up a little. If you feel the bass must come from your sub then you have no choice except to use Auto Decode or one of the movie/music DSP's. One way around this would be to use the line in /out of your sub which in effect turns the sub into a full range speaker and at the same time disable all the great control features of your Sony. I Also think an Outlaw ICBM would work. If I were you, I would not worry to much about the limitations of analog direct.

5. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the information!

Ron