Sony DA1ES Informed Opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Woodrow_Stool, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Woodrow_Stool

Woodrow_Stool Auditioning

I am looking to (finally!) update a home theater system to 5.1 capability. As I also listen to plenty of "just" music, I would like a reasonable bit of horsepower to run my NHT speaker farm. The Sony STR-DA1ES seems to be an excellent buy at $500 list, but the problem is that they are not sold anywhere reasonably close to me, so this will be a mail-order purchase, with no prior audition.

QUESTION: I would like to hear comments as to the quality of the hardware and the resulting sound of the DA1ES from anyone who has actually (1) auditioned one or (2-gasp) actually owns one. I would also appreciate any pointers to authorized mail order/online dealers of the ES line besides Crutchfield.

Is there some other receiver I should also consider? I am aware of the Outlaw 1050, but I don't see many comments about it here lately, and it seems a bit underpowered, at least compared to the Sony DA1ES.

Many thanks ...

2. Natelabo

Natelabo Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I actually just received mine yesterday and am auditioning it right now... I have a few concerns though I am not sure if I have a diferrent version or something. My display does not look like the picture at Crutchfield or in auctions. The unit say DA1ES on it. But some buttons are different?!? I won this off eBay. I too am a heavy music listner but got the setup for 5.1 movies. I will post tommorrow about the good, bad, and other. Need a little more time [​IMG].
    -nate

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

The Crutchfield photo is wrong. It is a preprodution or mockup.

5. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

So how does it look like?

6. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Probably like this

7. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Go To www.elegantaudiovideo.com
    I bougth a SONY Da4Es here and the service was excellent and the price was very good....
    A.

8. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Aren't you glad that noone has answered your question directly yet?

At any rate, I have a 2ES and think it sounds terrific. If you don't need 6 channels, there's probably not much difference between the 1 and 2ES.