Sony CRT RPTV problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David Parrish, Feb 15, 2004.

1. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

I recently moved my V700 series 53" Sony CRT RPTV. It's about 4 years old. Now it has a very bad habit. Every time I hit the TV/Video button to change inputs the screen blanks and the TV "locks up". You can't turn it on, off, or anything else. It's just a blank screen. If you unplug it then plug it back in, it'll let you cycle to the next input. As long as you don't hit the TV/Video button again it will display TV and work normally. But as soon as you hit the TV/Video button, WHAM!, picture turns off.

When you unplug the TV you can here the TV cut off. Other than that, there is no indication the TV is working when it "locks up"

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

You might want to check all the pushbuttons on the set for one that is jammed down. When this happens the results will be unpredictable since they are connected to each other and to the processor input. Check buttons behind doors also since boards can shift position in transit. The first test by a tech would be to disconnect switches and operate by remote control (might require unsoldering or unwiring connectors or switches).

3. David Parrish

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll go check it out.

4. David Parrish

All the buttons were working normally. Any other ideas? The TV has 5 video modes. I have to unplug it 5 times to get it to cycle from Cable to DVD... ugh!!