What's new

Sony Control S (1 Viewer)

Mike Swing

Auditioning
What is Sony Control S and what can it do? I knwo some Sony components have the link on the back and even the AII control link but can it allow the components to talk with another I.E. tell the Sony TV to switch to Video 1 if a DVD is started on a linked Sony DVD player and tell the Sony receiver to switch to DVD. If anyone out there knows how this works please fill me in. Thanks in advance.;)

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator
Here's control s in a nut shell. I have all Sony components just about. On my old Wega it has a control s connection for every input, I plugged one of the receiver's control s's into the control s input on the Wega that I used for the DVD input. On the DVD player I had it's control s plugged into the receiver's DVD input control s. What this all accomplished is, when I hit play on the DVD player the Wega would turn on if it wasn't and it would switch to the DVD input, and the receiver would turn on if it wasn't and switch to it's DVD input. Also I noticed by accident because I have my components in a built in cabinet that that the IR for everything gets routed through the TV. Now all this changed when I got my new XBR2, evidently Sony changed the control s protocol on the XBR2 and the TV won't auto switch to the DVD input. The XBR2 only has one control s in versus the Wega had one for every input. Supposedly if I get one of the newer receivers it will all work again. The IR still gets routed through the TV, but the DVD and receiver are the only one's on a talking basis. If any of this is confusing, or you have additional questions please reply.

Mike Swing

Auditioning
Hey, that helped a lot. I used to have all JVC components with AV Compulink. This had all the components 'talking' with each other and it did just what you said with your Sony equipment. Right now, I have the Sony Widescreen 51' TV and I'm planning out the rest of the system to have Sony Control S. So far, I want the 333 or 555 ES receiver and the 9000ES DVD player. Thanks again for your reply, it has helped out with my future plans. :D

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Sony also has S-Link as opposed to Control S. I think Control S is as described above and S-Link is ONLY the control of other connected equipment via the source components IR. Eg. A TV connected via S-Link out to a Sat Receiver S-Link in - the TV remote should operate the Sat via the TV's IR. I do not believe the S-Link switches conponents on etc thus the single socket on the new XBR. That's the theory anyway.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks