What's new

Sony/Columbia "Film Noir" Collection (1 Viewer)

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
Barrie Maxwell's "Classic Coming Attractions" column reports there will be a forthcoming "film noir" set, with five rumored titles. Any information about a release date? Or will it, apparently, be forgotten, like the previously announced WB Film Noir set, vol. five.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Who'd have thought that Sony, of all companies, would suddenly be the savior of catalog titles while most of the others are backing away from them? There are more ironies in this business...!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I think you've got to give props to Universal. A great reissue of Touch of Evil last year, followed by the Pre-Code set this year, and Lonely Are the Brave in June.

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
Barnes and Noble and Amazon show a four piece box set from Sony/Columbia entitled "Film Noir Classics: The Collector's Choice" coming out July 14, but no titles are listed. Anyone know the titles?

I note DeepDiscount is showing two Sony/Columbia Film Noir box sets for release at the end of the year. Any speculation that there will "double dipping" of titles between the July 14 and the end of the year set?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It looks as if a third box set of Columbia Noir is due via a deal Sony has struck with TCM.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Bob Cashill said:
It looks as if a third box set of Columbia Noir is due via a deal Sony has struck with TCM.
Any details / ideas / hints you can give us, Bob?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Not long after I wrote this the following PR went up on the site: "Film Noir Classics III – This third volume of the popular film noir collection, a collaboration with The Film Foundation, presents a slate of Columbia Pictures’ titles never before available on DVD, available for the first time through the TCM Vault Collection. The set includes Nina Foch and George Macready in My Name is Julia Ross(1946), Mickey Rooney and Dianne Foster in Drive a Crooked Road (1955), Broderick Crawford in The Mob (1951) and Brian Keith and Ginger Rogers in Tight Spot(1955) and Dan Duryea and Jayne Mansfield in The Burglar (1957). Columbia Pictures’ previous two film noir collections are also available through TCM’s online store. Street date: early 2012." Good set. I really liked DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD (directed by PUSHOVER's Richard Quine, written by Blake Edwards) when it aired on TCM recently.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
oops. Never mind. Just saw Ronald's thread (started yesterday) about the new TCM-Sony announcement. Here's the excerpt about the noir set (and it's great to see THE BURGLAR and MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS in the lineup: "Film Noir Classics III – This third volume of the popular film noir collection, a collaboration with The Film Foundation, presents a slate of Columbia Pictures’ titles never before available on DVD, available for the first time through the TCM Vault Collection. The set includes Nina Foch and George Macready in My Name is Julia Ross(1946), Mickey Rooney and Dianne Foster in Drive a Crooked Road (1955), Broderick Crawford in The Mob (1951) and Brian Keith and Ginger Rogers in Tight Spot(1955) and Dan Duryea and Jayne Mansfield in The Burglar (1957). Columbia Pictures’ previous two film noir collections are also available through TCM’s online store. Street date: early 2012."

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Oops -- beat me by seconds Bob... But thanks all the same for the initial heads-up! :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I already have Tight Spot on a U.K. DVD but I will definitely buy this box set. All the other movies I've wanted for a long, long time and the quality of the two previous Sony Film Noir sets was beyond criticism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks