What's new

Sony Cineza VPL-HS20 ----WOW (1 Viewer)

AlPetrillo

Auditioning
I wrote off LCD technology for Front Projectors until now!
I just viewed this projector...it's only $3200...street price.
Clear, sharp, colorful........only downside I saw was black levels but they were not bad....I did view on White screen.....maybe grey would of helped.

Any other opinions? I can't seem to find a Benq PE8700 to compare, which is only $4100 now.........trying to decide which to purchase....

Thanks

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I'm very impressed with the performance of my HS20. Currently I'm projecting onto a DIY screen and the picture is very good. The fan is a bit louder than I'd hoped, but I tune it out while watching movies/TV so it's a none issue really. Adding a hush box might be an option. HD is incredible on the HS20!:emoji_thumbsup:

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I am picking up this unit a few weeks. A friend of mine just gave me a free screen... It's a 104 inches from bottom left, to top right. Has a snap on white screen... Will this screen be ok?? I'm not sure what brand it is?? It has no markings on it, but it looks exactly like a Da-Lite I just saw in an A/V store....

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I'm gonna hate asking this question :)

How much better is this than a GW LCD TV?

I bought my 60" GW on a price screw up for $2700 bux. They are selling now for nearly 4K.

I've heard alot about this new unit from Sony and think I could pretty much trade up for almost free, if not just a couple of hundred for the screen itself.

I have Voom and use it for both my OTA and HD Feeds.

Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Let me just say that the hs20 is a great HD unit with lots of detail. If I were to buy this projector, I would probably pair it up with a nice silver/gray screen ala firehawk from stewart or a diy screen to match that although your white screen will work nicely too.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I personally love the HS20 compared with the current gen GW. It really depends on your setup though.

Neil hit the nail on the head though. Silver or Gray screens are ideal.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I've had the HS20 since Christmas. I've just passed 1000 hours on the unit. And I'm running it on a 106" dia. ($140) Draper white pull-down screen with a 10' meter ($30) NXG component cable. I'm still very impressed with the picture. Especially on HD material!

There is some fan noise and since it has the fans in the front I'm not sure if one can make a useful quiet box. I played around one weekend with a cardboard box. Cut it so I could hang it around the projector and not affect the screens image. And then added some insulation on the inside of the box. The problem is that the fans are in the front. I couldn't find a way to quiet the fan noise with the box without affecting the reliability of the fans. I might be able to add some filter material in front of the fans to help reduce some noise level. That may have to wait for another weekend thing. I did notice if I put in "Master and Commander" the noise level disappeared! ;) The fan noise is not a big issue but something to consider if the projector is very close to the sitting position. My HS20 hangs about three feet above my ears. And I only notice the fan noise when I first start the unit or when powering everything down for the night.

I'm currently looking at a new DVD player to replace my Sony 9000ES player. It's a little long in the tooth but is very reliable and plays everything I put in it. I'm looking at the Zenith DVB318 right now. And I'm following a thread on AVS forum about this hard to get unit. It up-converts to 1080i using DVI or component cable. I've been using my Aragon processor to pass my Comcast cable box and DVD components signal. Switching from one to the other is a nice and simple solution.

AlPetrillo,
If your looking at spending in the $4000 range there are probably better projectors out there. But, my budget was to stay under $3k on my PJ, screen and cables. With the HS20 I managed to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks