Sony Cineza Home Projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Does anyone know of any reviews on this new low cost front projector?
    Does anyone have one and wish to share their experiences so far?
    At 3K it looks compelling but I have not seen the picture quality yet.
    Thanks! [​IMG]
    Lee

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Haven't seen it myself yet, but I do have some info on it.

Contrast is apparently low-ish, around 300:1, but then again it's an LCD machine. It's very silent. Not possible to ceiling mount it, which can be annoying. The "side-shot" functionality of it might be ok for some, but since it's just a fancy name for digital keystone adjustment, using it will mean you are not using the whole LCD panel for viewing, which will lead to seriously reduced image quality.

Based on that, the only place to put this projector if you want maximum image quality is on a table in front of you.

In other words, an ok budget projector from Sony with no ceiling mount capability.

3. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

I just got the NEC LT150 for $2500 and it is XGA res. with 800:1 contrast and DLP so no screen door. I can not reccomend this projector enough. I just watched "Pleasantville" last night on my 80"x45" screen from about 11' seating distance and I was just taken aback by the picture quality. Before you buy an SVGA res. LCD, you owe it to yourself to look at a DLP.

Greg

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Greg,
    what are you driving the 150 with? HTPC, scaler, progressive-DVD? How do you handle 16x9 vs 4x3 material...do you have a 16x9 screen?
    Any screen-pics of your HT to share?
    -dave [​IMG]

5. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Hi Dave

I mainly using a Sony 700P progressive scan dvd player which is a huge step up from the old Toshiba 3109 I had. I have hooked up my computer to it couple of times since it also has a dvd-rom, but it is just to glitchy for watching movies (random lock-ups). I am currently using a 16:9 screen. The LT150 offers what it calls cinema mode which is for anamorphic material, and it has full screen which when watching a 4:3 image it projects above and below the screen. This is with the component input. If you have the s-video hooked up you also have the option of viewing in the native mode which puts a smaller image in the center of the screen with black bars or the sides. I rarely watch 4:3 material so I typically just leave it in Cinema mode. On the 4:3 material I have, I still watch it in Cinema mode because it only squishs the picture a little bit.

Greg

6. Huey

Huey Agent

Same forum software as on AVS. Great job webmeisters.
    I also second the recommendation for LT150. It's less than the Cineza and will beat in in all categories (except noise--LT150 is rated at 39db, sideshot digital keystone corrections--useless, possible rainbows--10%, cheaper bulb--$170 vs $300, and no zoom): XGA vs SVGA, DLP vs LCD, slightly brighter (800 vs. 700 lumens), 800:1 CR vs 300:1, shorter throw (bigger image at same distance), smaller size (3#), ceiling/rear/table mountable, price ($2200 vs. $2400--estimated street price of Cineza), less screendoor (higher resolution and DLP), supporting popular resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) and connections (composite, Svideo, Component--using breakout cable, and VGA), Compact flash port for slideshows/presentations (Sony has memory stick slot), supports 16:9 anamorphic squeeze, 2-yr 72 hour Instacare warranty (Sony does not offer this, 3rd year of LT150 is regular warranty). Couple this to progressive DVD player (Panny RP56 for $200) or HTPC and you got one heck of a HT FP video setup.
    Lets hope the CRT guys don't start in on this thread [​IMG]

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

FYI an attempt was made previously to switch to vBulletin which then proceeded to choke and die horribly under the load here at the HTF. [​IMG]
    New hardware seems to have been just the ticket though (?)
    Anyway, a CRT can be a major bargain and give a picture that in many respects blows the LT150 clean out of the water. Of course, they are still huge, prone to burn-in and a much bigger hassle to install. [​IMG]

8. Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson Auditioning

hehe... you have to be kidding about vBulletin, right? [H]ard|OCP gets a HUGE amount of traffic, and it seems to run ok, limited only by hardward... [​IMG]
    Anyway, I would also be interested in anyone's PERSONAL experience with this projector... it's an intriguing low-cost solution, but would have to have a few outstanding high points to overcome the other options out there...