What's new

Sony CEO sees ‘stalemate’ in disc fight (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
It's funny how people who do not own a PS3 keep complaining about there being no good games for the PS3, while people like myself continue enjoy a multitude of games. In fact my problem lately is how to keep up with all the games that I want and more importantly how to find time to play them all. I could list out quite a few great titles, but I really see no point. What one needs to look at is this, how many actual unhappy owners of the PS3 do you know. I bet not too many. The pS3 is probably the best value for money electroncis that I have ever purchased. It really is an 'all in one' box, that does so much for so little.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Ok, I have owned a PS3 since just after launch and there really aren't a lot of good games for the PS3. Are there some? Yes, but I do envy the 360 line up. There are several games that just look great the 360. Of course, it has been out longer. It has been so bad lately that for the last several months I haven't even used my free game rental at Blockbuster.

Even so, I have been very happy with the PS3 and it is a great "box."

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I personally have a US 'Region A' 60GB PS3, that I sourced thri a friend from the US. Athough I don't use the PS3 as my primary DVD player, but considering that I have 2200+ 'Region 1' DVDs in my collection, it was imperative that I get the PS3 from the US to make sure that they work.

As for PS3 prices here in India. The 80GB PS3 was being officially sold here for $1000, and only recently have they dropped the price to $750. Stand alone Blu-Ray players start at around $1200, with the Pioneer selling for $1800. As for the A2, Toshiba has yet to launch HD-DVD here and there are absolutely no signs of the existence of HD-DVD around here. On the other hand, the '3rd' so called HD format has been making a lot of news lately. It is quite clear that Toshiba has put all it's efforts, financially and otherwise in trying to win the war in the US. I suppose whether we like it or not, the format war is going to be lost and or won in the US. But having said that, I don't think the survival of the PS3 and thus Blu-Ray is in question irrespective of how this war ends.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Sanjay, I guess the same could be said about the BD side of the house continually complaining about the HD releases even though they don't own an HD player. But that is another story. I certainly saw no one complaining about no good games , just statements of fact. The numbers speak for themself. Not just console sales, but software sales for the PS3. The reviews also speak for themself. One does not have to own the device to be able to read. There is certainly enough data available to draw reasonable conclusions.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Sorry Thomas, but that is just BS. It sometimes amazes me that you just keep on feeding this anti-PS propaganda in these forums. Why? If I recall, you work for MS Thomas (serious question)? I respect your views and everything, but your PS3 comments are simply tiresome and repetitive. I simply see no purpose of this?

Please do some research of PS3-titles like "Warhawk", "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune", "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" (also in Xbox 360), "Heavenly Sword", "Resistance: Fall of Man", "Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction", "Folklore".. All have gathered good reviews (I have played/own most of them). Sure, you probably find some mediocre reviews in every game, but this "PS3 doesn´t have good games" is just BS. Plain and simple.

It´s another question that which console has the "best games" etc, but it´s quite hard to compare e.g. "Super Mario Galaxy" to "Drake's Fortune" or something..

And: How many "good games" do you need anyway? It really depends. E.g. for me, PS3 definitely has "enough" (or coming in the near future) good games. My time is limited, no matter what.. To many "hard core" gamers, PS3 probably doesn´t have enough good games.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Apart from the "wife comment" ( ;) ), I fully see your point. My friend is now at the similar situation and asking my help. He came to visit my house (with his kids) and loved PS3. I had over 40 games/demos in my harddrive, Blu-ray films, etc, so I could truly show its "power", if you will. Kids loved the games, no question. They are not "rating" these games like some pro-game sites do. They just enjoy them. (Btw. He said that "Xbox 360" is not an option.. ;) ).

But, Wii has its own advantages, especially for kids. Motion censor is fun and is adding some "active playing", Mario, Zelda etc are "Nintendo exclusives" and the console is cheap enough. And the games are good also, not just Mario or Zelda.

But: It´s only a game console and doesn´t support HD-resolution(s). Games simply doesn´t look as good as PS3/Xbox 360 games. Not the end of the world, I know, but since my friend just recently bought a 1080p LCD, it´s hard to fully recommend Wii in that regard. I mean with PS3, he could ALSO enjoy HD-films and via 1080p (=ideal). So it´s going to be a tricky decision for him. For his kids, Wii is a very good choice. But for both him AND his kids, PS3 has advantages of its own.. Both are good options (along with Xbox 360).

I´m personally planning to get ALSO Wii very soon, but my friend doesn´t want to buy two consoles at the moment (which I fully understand).

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I think that generally, the mass public perception of the PS3 isn't very good.

It's sort of obvious that the public is flocking more towards the Xbox 360 as it's been outselling the PS3.

I'm sure the price cuts will help the PS3, but the Xbox will see a holiday surge as well.

Halo 3 as a game outseld the PS3. Gamers are generally turning towards the Xbox 360.

I will not discredit the good deal that the PS3 is. However, it is software that is going to justify it in the end.

Long term the PS3 will naturally have more legs than the Xbox because of the hardware thats in use.

But long term, when a new Xbox comes out in 2 or 3 years, I'm interested to see which direction that goes.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Personal anecdotes don't disprove hard sales numbers. The fact is that the PS3 has NOT been the big success as a game machine that Sony hoped it would be. It simply doesn't work for you to say "it's true because it's true for me".

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This is probably true. I mean PS2 sold like candy and PS1 was virtually in every home. So in that regard PS3 hasn´t been a similar "homerun".

But it´s far from a complete failure or "finished" in the console business. Time will tell of course the ultimate outcome. There has been some talk that Wii´s "Motion censor" and Mario/Zelda games can´t keep the console in "nr.1" forever.. And since many people have (or are "buying") HD-set, Wii can´t compete in that front.

Internal Blu-ray player might be a very good thing for PS3 in the long run (more and more people will discover HD at the moment).

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Things have changed from the previous generation of consoles. The PS2 had a sustantial amount of exclusive third party titles and was a huge part of its success. For the PS3, practically all their exclusives are first party only. As a 360 (and Wii) owner, it's hard to justify forking over several hundred bucks for a PS3 when most of its third party titles are availible on the 360, especially since there is practically no difference between the two versions.

What you're forgetting is that in video games, GAMEPLAY is key, and trumps graphics in terms of importance, and Nintendo has that in spades.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

No doubt, but many doesn´t read these sales numbers that closely. They just enjoy the games and films. So sales numbers don't disprove personal anecdotes either..

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Personal anecdotes mean nothing at company board meetings.

CEO: Sales are underperforming!!

Sales exec: Pay no attention to the sales numbers. There's a guy on HTF who says he's happy, so we have nothing to worry about.

CEO: It's you who has something to worry about. You're fired!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I fully agree. I actually wrote a minor article/test of Wii in my local magazine and said almost exactly the same thing (eventually gameplay is more important than graphics).

But I can´t deny the fact that games in 720p and 1080p looks just great in my 1080p set. Not that important factor than gameplay, but still damn important. At least for me.

But yeah, I love games like Mario! :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that when you post twice in a row too quickly, the forum merges the posts into one? :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Good one for the forum software!

Posting multiple times in a row in the same thread is frowned upon here.

Please do your fellow members a pleasure and post a second comment in the same post (could even be done by editing it, if you want).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks