sony ce775 vs. xa1es

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Rodier, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Anyone have any idea how these two machines stack up against each other in redbook play?

-rob

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, I don't know. That would be an interesting comparison. On the one hand, the 'CE775 has a newer and better DAC, but the 'XA1ES benefits from ES construction. If you are in a position to compare them, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

3. Rob Rodier

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, I see. You might just try the 'CE775 to see if you like it. Have you tried other CD players for around the same money? Examples include the Sony CDP-CA70ES, Marantz CC3000 or CC4000, and Denon DCM-370.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, by the way, I once read that many 'XA1ES units suffered from a defect. I believe it had something to do with the drawer mechanism. I read about this a couple years back on audioreview.com. It's something you ought to research.

6. Rob Rodier

I've read that as well about the transport, it does not deter me to the point were I would not buy it, but at the same time it is another point for the ce775.

)I am a critical listener to say the least, and am trying to get my last redbook player as a birthday present from my Girlfriend. I started looking at marantz cd-67se (used) and thought that was a possible find. Then I saw the two above mentioned units for around $100 and thought hmmm...

I need good redbook perforamace. SACD is great, but secondary. I am going to do sacd right when I get out in the real world. The 222 or 555 is the answer but unfortunatly they are not in the cards. I only have $200 to play with. I am looking used so auditioning is tough.

What do you think?

-rob

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, I would still look at some of the CD changers in addition to the 'CE775. The Marantz CC3000 sells for $200, and you should be able to get the Sony 'CA70ES a good bit under the $300 retail price by mail (check Oade Bros. and J&R Music World). I know you said you only have $200 to work with right now, but the Sony 'C222ES is a steal for around $350 delivered from Oade Bros. or J&R. If there is any way you can swing the $350, definitely consider the 'C222ES. Finally, you should check www.audiogon.com and eBay for used players in your price range, if you haven't already.

8. Rob Rodier

I am on Audiogon everyday[​IMG]
    I did a search in the asylum and found some good info on the ce775. I feel confident enough to take the leap of faith and go for it. I can return it if it is not satisfactory. Fingers crossed!
    Thanks for your help.
    -rob

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    www.accessories4less.com is an authorized Marantz closeout dealer, and they recently had a few refurb CC-4000 units for ~$150. that is a STEAL IMO...i own this player and i must say that the carousel mechanism is the best i've EVER seen on ANY player at ANY price. the sound quality from the DAC's is good as well, but this player will serve as my transport once i move to an external DAC.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob,
    No problem. Let us know what you think of the 'CE775. Once you hear SACD on the 'CE775, the high-resolution format won't be such an afterthought. Just forewarning you. [​IMG]
    Thomas,
    I agree that the carousel mechanism on Marantz changers is outstanding. Best I have seen. I would love to see Marantz make a carousel SACD changer priced to compete with the Sony ES models ('C222ES or 'C555ES).

11. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Rob,

I currently own a modified 775. Before modification, the 775's redbook performance was pretty unremarkable and you could beat it with a bunch of budget used CD players like the ones already mentioned, or my favorite, the NAD C521 (easily found for $150 or less). After the mods, which cost me an additional $350, the 775 is now an awesome performer on redbook and I'm very happy with it. If keeping this player long term is part of your plan, then I'd recommend getting it now and adding the mods later when your budget allows. If you're only going to keep it for a year or less, or if you want immediate satisfaction on redbook playback, then definitely look elsewhere. Good luck!