What's new

Sony CDPCX555ES 300 disc CD changer any good? (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I can get a good deal on a demo unit. How do last years 300 disc changers compare to this years 400 disc changers?
How is the reliability and the performance for CD playback via the analog outs?
Also what is the difference between the CDPCX333ES and CDPCX555ES?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gil, the difference between last year's 300-disc players and this year's 400-disc models is that this year's models hold 100 more CDs. :)
Seriously though, I have two CDP-CX333ES 300-disc units daisy-chained and have been very happy with them. As far as reliability, I've had no problems with these players whatsoever. One thing that impressed me about these players is how long entered disc titles stay in the memory. I recently moved as a result of a job change, and my new company put my belongings, including the megachangers, in secure storage for three weeks while I was waiting to close on my new house. When I plugged the megachangers in at the new place (about five weeks after they were unplugged at the old house), I was thrilled to see that the stored disc titles remained in the memory. I thought for sure that I would have to type them in again.
I bought the 'CX333ES players in the spring of 2000, before the 400-disc models were released. Prior to buying the players, I compared the build quality to the non-ES CDP-CX300, CDP-CX335, and CDP-CX350 at a local Tweeter, and found the 'CX333ES to be built noticeably better. The better DAC in the ES units also swayed me (one must use the analog outputs when daisy-chaining). My local Tweeter carries both the ES and non-ES 400-disc players (CDP-CX400, CDP-CX450, CDP-M333ES, and CDP-M555ES). In looking at all four players, I found the difference in build quality to be less apparent than in comparing the ES and non-ES 300-disc players. I'm not sure if Sony improved the build quality of its non-ES 400-disc players or cheapened the quality of the newer ES players. Nevertheless, the ES players have the better DAC.
Although, the ES players have the better DAC, don't expect all-world performance from a megachanger. I feel the ES players are worth the money over the non-ES models, but simlarly priced carousel changers or single-disc players will usually sound better. I've found that in my experience. As a result, I use the megachangers for convenience (quick access and shuffle play of 600 CDs) and for casual listening. Still, as far as megachangers go, the ES models are quite good.
The 'CX333ES and 'CX555ES are the same player, except the latter model has an LCD remote that displays disc titles. It's a nice feature but it wasn't worth $100 more to me at the time. By the way, the 'M555ES comes with an LCD remote, unlike the 'M333ES.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Thanks Keith.
I didn't realize you needed to use the analog outputs if you chain them.
If I got the CDPCX333ES without the LCD remote, can I use the LCD remote that came with my Sony V444es receiver to get the title display on the LCD remote?
I want to use the megachanger for convenience and 'safe' storage of my CD's.
Gil

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gil, when I bought my 'CX333ES players last year, I had a Sony STR-DB930 receiver, which had an LCD two-way remote. I could not get the remote to display disc names after trying briefly. I believe this is because the 'CX333ES lacks the two-way remote sensor on the front panel. I now have a 'V444ES and haven't tried the remote with the 'CX333ES. Anyway, if you look at the front panel of the 'CX555ES (or 'M555ES), you will see the rectangular two-way remote sensor.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks