What's new

Sony CDP-CX450 - Disc naming (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I just picked this player up (it's a 400 disc jukebox) and am a bit put off by how it labels the discs. I'm hoping I am just missing something in the manual.

The player allows you to assign the album name to each CD. It also allows you to assign an artist name to each CD. My problem is that it only displays the album name in the display. I can't find a way to display the artist name.

I can't believe Sony expects me to memorize all 400 album names and know who the artist is. It just seems a lot more logical to display the artist name in the display.

Anyone know of a way to do this?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Camp, have you read the owner's manual thoroughly? I don't have the 'CX450, so I am not overly familiar with the LCD remote. However, I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers (previous generation) that uses a standard remote. I have been copying CDs stored in the megachangers to CD-Rs with full text (artists' names and album and track titles). To display the artist's name, I just toggle the "TIME/TEXT" button on the remote. With no disc playing, that will change the display from album title to artist's name to total time on the disc. When the disc is playing, this functions the same way except that the track time elapsed is displayed. Perhaps the 'CX450 has a similar function listed in one of the menus on the LCD display. I looked at a picture of the 'CX450 remote on Crutchfield's web site, and there are few buttons and none that looked like the button you would need.

I also looked at a picture of the remote for the CDP-M333ES 400-disc megachanger on Crutchfield's web site. The 'M333ES is the ES version of the recently discontinued 'CX400, and the two players use the same remote. The remote has a button that says "ARTIST MODE". Perhaps this displays the artist's name on these players. Sony changed the remote in going from my 'CX333ES to these 400-disc models. Anyway, look for "ARTIST MODE" in one of the menus on the 'CX450 remote. It's got to be there somewhere. The 'CX400 and 'CX450 are essentially the same player, except for the different style remotes and the video output on the 'CX450. They should have the same features.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
have you read the owner's manual thoroughly?
That would certainly solve my problem, huh? :) I just don't have the patience for poorly written manuals. I guess that's what I'll do.
Thanks for the response, Keith. "Artist Mode" is just a play mode where the player only plays discs from one artist. So, if you have 10 Beatles CDs it'll only play from those discs.
How are you embedding text into the CD-R's? That sounds like a great idea.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Camp, thanks for the info. on the "Artist Mode" feature. I don't think my 'CX333ES has that. Anyway, I am burning CDs to CD-Rs via my PC burner. I am using the Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 program, which is very easy to use. When you copy songs to the hard drive as individual files, you simply assign them file names. The file names are automatically copied over to the CD. In addition, you can type in artist and disc names in fields above the list of songs (files) to be copies so that they get copied over too. It's a very easy program to use.

JordanW

Grip
Camp,

I have the CX450 myself and input the artist names manually. I can't remember how to do it with remote without going in the living room to play with it, but here's how to do it on the actual player. While you are on any CD, hit the Menu button...scroll over to the right once to Artist Name Input (or something like that) and hit select it.....now just input as many artist names as you would like while you are in this Input mode. After you are finished entering all of the artists that you want, exit out of this input mode. Now for each CD, you will have to go to that CD.....then hit the Menu button....now scroll to the right twice to select Artist File.....select the artist for the CD that you are currently on. Do this for each CD and you'll be set. P.S: This is much easier to do with a keyboard hooked up to the unit. Hope this helps you out.

-- Jordan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks