Sony CD Megachangers??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_W, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Steve_W

Steve_W Agent

I am interested in a CD megachanger for my current system. I have a Onkyo 898 reciever, and after recently wiring the entire house for sound I am interested in the storage capacity and ease of access a megachanger provides.

What I am trying to achieve is to buy a changer that will be able to:

1)Allow me to easily load Artist, Album, AND Track Title info into the player (CDJ software from Nirvis claims to do this)

2)The ability to be daisy chained to another changer, with fading between the 2 if possible,so I can have continuous play and cross fade. (I have read about the Sony's and Slink-e, but not sure if it can do this)

3)Total capacity between the changers only needs to be at least 400 discs

4)Digital output in a daisy chained arrangement (I have heard the Sony's do daisy chain but you have to use analog)

Does anyone with experience with such an arrangement have any advice on how I can achieve this?

I also am unsure if the CDJ software from Nirvis allows you to load info into the Sony players, but then control them from the CD player, or whether control has to be from the computer through the Slink-e interface.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Steve_W

Steve_W Agent

bump

3. Steve_W

Steve_W Agent

OK I did some more research, and I am considering this approach...

1)Buying a Sony M555ES Changer, adding another at a later date for cross fade/continuous play

2)Using Fuerio CD Burning software to add artist,album, and track info via CDDB and burning CDR copies with CD-Text into of all my CD's in my CDRW drive in my computer

3)Seeing the Sony plays CDR's and is CD-Text compatible, I will be able to access artist, album, and track info via the GUI.

Any flaws you see in this approach??

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steve, the only problem I see is that you will have to use the analog outputs for daisy-chaining Sony megachangers (analog cables between the players and from the master player to the pre-amp/receiver). I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers (the predecessor to the 'M333ES) daisy-chained and am very happy with them. I have no problem using the analog outputs since I use them with a stereo integrated amp that has no built-in DAC. As far as megachangers go, Sony ES megachangers sound very good. They won't compare to a comparably priced single-disc CD player or carousel changer soundwise, but they do sound good, and the "NO DELAY", all-disc shuffle mode feature between two megachangers is great to have at your disposal.

I am in the process of copying the CDs in my megachangers to CD-Rs with album titles, artist names, and song titles. It take awhile, but will be worth it in the end. I'll use the store-bought CDs in my better players. For what it's worth, I am copying CDs to CD-Rs with Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.

5. Steve_W

Steve_W Agent

Keith,

Thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear you are happy with the sound you get. The convenient access to my collection is key for me, analog sounds better than nothing at all because I don't like to mess with jewel cases and loading and reloading.

I do want to ask a couple more questions though..

1)Is "continuous play" only possible with 2 changers, due to the fact that to access different tracks from different discs, there is a delay by a single player in locating that disc and track?

2)Is digital output possible from a single changer ala the M555ES??

Steve

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steve, you can run all-disc shuffle play on just one megachanger, but of course, there will be a delay between songs as the player unloads the disc that just played and then selects, loads, and cues up the next disc. The delay can be about ten seconds or so. When you have two megachangers daisy-chained, you can engage the "NO DELAY" feature, which allows you to run both players in all-disc shuffle mode with no breaks. The way it works is that while one player is playing a song, the second player is paused on a song and is ready to go. So, when the song from the first player is over, the second player starts up right away, and the first one selects a song and sits paused, waiting for the second player to finish. There is a seamless transition between players. So, with the NO DELAY feature engaged, the two players alternate. It's great.

To answer your second question, all Sony megachangers, including the 'M555ES, have an optical digital output, which you can use if you are only running one megachanger. Unfortunately, these players do not have a coaxial digital output.

7. Steve_W

Steve_W Agent

Keith,

Thanks again for your response, it is good to be able to ask someone questions about this stuff that knows what they are talking about.

So if I understand you right, I will need to get a 2nd player for continuous play. But the point you made about the Sony changers having optical digital outputs, but not coaxial digital outputs, I'm not sure I understand. What would be the advantage of coaxial digital vs. optical digital outputs with these changers??

Thanks again,

Steve

8. Bac Bradley

Bac Bradley Stunt Coordinator

Your difference will be so minimal that you won't even notice. Typically people have said that for longer wire runs go with coaxial. Whichever one you have an input for on your receiver will do nicely.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steve, I've been glad to help. Let's forget daisy-chaining for a minute and remember that one can use a digital output when running one Sony megachanger. Audiophiles often prefer to use coaxial digital cables over optical digital cables. Some say that players sound better when using coaxial digital cables, while others simply say that coaxial digital cables are more robust. If you look at CD players from the more audiophile-oriented companies, you will find that they offer either coaxial and optical digital outputs or just coaxial digital outputs. Even budget players from Denon and Marantz, respected audio companies, only have coaxial digital outputs. For some reason, Sony has only offered optical digital outputs on recent ES CD players, such as the megachangers, the CDP-CA70ES, 'CA80ES, and 'CA9ES carousel changers, and even the $700 retail CDP-XA20ES single-disc player. For the record, I prefer coaxial digital cables since they are often more robust than optical digital cables.

In all of this, it probably doesn't matter which type of digital output is included on megachangers. For one thing, audiophiles don't use them. Secondly, they generally are not very high-quality transports, so they probably wouldn't be able to bring out the difference between the sound quality of each type of output, if a difference even exists.

10. Steve_W

Steve_W Agent

Keith thanks for the explanation, that does clear alot up for me, and since about half the time I will be listening to the changer through satellite speakers in a second zone, rather than my main system, this should be a good solution for me. I am going to get a quality single or carousel CD for critical listening at a later date.

Steve

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steve, again, no problem. Hope the 'M555ES works out for you. If you do daisy-chain, you should have a ball, though you will be making a lot of CD-Rs. [​IMG]

12. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Guess I'll go ahead and mention this...

I tried out one of the low end Sony 400 disc changers late last year that you can get at Best Buy and had absolutely horrible results with it. The one I got did not play CD-Rs, and I actually had problems playing my non-scratched original Braveheart Soundtrack cd.

I also went to a Tweeter and tried testing their Sony CD changer for CD-R/RW compatibility and ran into the same problem. I think I tried the 400 disc ES model, but I might be misremembering. Either way, since Sony does not explicitly state they support CD-Rs, unless they now have different models out, you may have compatibility issues depending on the brand of CD-R you use. I know others have had fairly good luck with playing CD-Rs in their Sonys, but thought I'd just mention what I've experienced, especially since you plan on making CD-R copies of all of your cds.

13. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Has anyone noticed problems with these meagchangers causing scratches to CDs? I asked about this in the Music Area in relation to car CD players. I noticed that my old car's dash-mounted slot CD player was creating some fine scratches on the discs.

My new car now has a 6-disc changer in the boot (tape up front). Any known issues with these causing scratches? I usually listen to self-made compilation CDRs in the car, but I occasionally listen to originals. I don't really want to have to copy all my CDs to CDR to use in the car.

14. Steve_W

Steve_W Agent

John,

Thanks for that point about the CDR's, I had not considered that the Sony changers dont officially support CDR's.

Anyone else have luck with Sony megachangers and specific brands of CDRs??

Thanks,

Steve

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've been running my CX335 300 disc sony changer for over a year now and its never not read any CDR I've tried nor has it ever scratched a disc (that I know of). From my perspective my changer has been flawless...and its functionality when combined with a pronto is amazing. Having every CD title available to me with a few simple presses on the LCD screen is very convienient.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John,

It is true that Sony does not explicitly state CD-R and CD-RW compatibility for its megachangers. Such compatibility is stated for Sony CD and SACD players that have come out since. That said, I am with Andrew on this one. I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers daisy-chained, and they have played every CD-R and CD-RW I have ever tried with no troubles. In fact, I am in the process of replacing all the CDs in the two players with copies on Memorex 80-minutes CD-Rs with CD TEXT, and these players play these discs perfectly. Seeing as the 'CX333ES is from the preceding generation of megachangers, I fully expect the current 400-disc models would play my CD-Rs and CD-RWs. Compatibility could very well depend on the brand of CD-R or CD-RW, however.

Darren,

I have not experienced scratched CDs with my Sony ES megachangers.

17. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Keith, I'm glad you've had luck with your CD-Rs. For some reason, I'm cursed in that if I don't get players that explicitly state compatibility, I don't get it [​IMG] Same case with my Panasonic A320 dvd player [​IMG]

18. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

19. Steve_W

Steve_W Agent

Keith,

How are you planning on adding the CD-Text to your CD-R's?? What program are you using? I havent started this project yet but I read somewhere Feurio was pretty good for that purpose because it links to CDDB and helps fill in the information. Any other programs you have experience with??

Steve

20. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I won't speak for Keith but I've used EX CD and Hotburn to do my CD Text on CDR's. Usually when I get a new title I imediatly copy it to CDR to get CD-Text and drop it in the mega changer. The original I keep out for back up or listening in the car or single disc player etc.