Sony CD changer connection question...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Drew_W, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I have a Sony 300-disc changer that I'm looking to connect to my H/K AVR225. It has an optical digital output and analog outputs. I'm not sure which to use since I'm not sure what the difference would be. Am I correct in assuming that using the digital cable I use the DACs in my receiver and using the analog cable I use the DACs in the CD player?

(The same sort of question applies to another scenario, where I have a DVD player with Burr-Brown DACs. If I hook this up with a digital cable to my system, am I still getting the benefit of the Burr-Brown circuitry?)

Thanks.

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

From the Pioneer DV440 Manual:

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Qute:
    Am I correct in assuming that using the digital cable I use the DACs in my receiver and using the analog cable I use the DACs in the CD player?

Yes you are correct. You will only know which sounds better by experimenting. I would think, but it's only speculation that the HK has better dacs so the optical cable would be the choice.[​IMG]

As to your second post I guess if your receiver has no optical out then you would need the RCA's to dub to tape or MD etc.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

partsexpress.com has optical to coaxial converters for about $15. Works great!. Generally Mega changers don't have the greatest dacs (Sony ES not included) so thats why it is good to use the digital out.
    If you daisy chain more than 1, you need to use the RCA outs.

5. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Keep in mind if you go analog you get just that,( no 5.1 for DVD). But for music normally the DAC's in your receiver or pre amp will perform better. At least for the ones I have used. I don't think its a huge difference but going optical dose seam to give you a more detailed sound overall.

6. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony CDP-CX455 connected optically to my Denon AVR-2803 reciever & Polk RM-6005 & SW-250 sub. I also have 2 other Sony mega-changers (CDP-CX300 & CDP-CX450) linked together, so, connected via analog cables. And I can hear the difference between the connections. Not huge, but noticeable! Some discs sound better that others, depending on mastering. Don't see why anyone else shouldn't hear the same thing.

7. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit