Sony & Canadian Stargate fans...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Stephen Heath, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Stephen Heath

Stephen Heath Stunt Coordinator

As if Sony did not have enough bad press, now they've messed up the Canadian Stargate:Atlantis disks in addition to not providing the full length threads episode in the SG-1 set.

According to www.tvshowsondvd.com, to get my disk fixed I need to get Sony to email me to let me send it at my cost to an address in the states, which means additional mailing costs and border documentation. I then need to wait 7-10 days and hope the disk comes back. That's for Atlantis. No word on what we have to do for the replacement Threads, although Americans need to use an online form, send in their disk, and wait 6-8 WEEKS for a replacement.

Why don't they just send replacment disks to the retailers so we can go where we bought them and swap it? Why, after screwing up, do they have to hassle the legitimate customers even more?

Of course, this is Sony... maybe they need the extra time to install their rootkit on your DVD too....

Is it too much to expect a company to correct their mistake in a way that isn't onerous for their customer?

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

It was the replicator that screwed up, so Sony actually has to fix their mistake.

I think the Canadian replicator should take a look at their QC; they've messed up a LOT lately!

Gord

3. Juan Books

Juan Books Stunt Coordinator

I wonder how long will consumers put up with Sony's bullsh*t... from installing viruses into paying customers' computers, to putting cut episodes into "complete season" sets, to selling fullscreen only DVDs in boxes marked as containing a widescreen side, really, why isn't the government taking notice of Sony's deceptive and fraudulent business practices? Sony has got to be the WORST media company out there. [​IMG]

4. Stephen Heath

Gord,

That's a good point, but Sony chose that replicator, and presumably is getting lower prices through a replicator that uses poor QC.

Even if not, I'm sure Sony is passing on the costs of replacement to this replicator, who would happily pay it or risk losing the Sony business, therefore, I don't expect Sony to be out of pocket. However, a company that cared about it's customers would also insist on whoever was responsible for the screwup also ponying up the costs involved for the exchange. Instead, I as a customer now have to pay $18.21 (the cheapest service to America with a proof of delivery) to get a defect on a $50 purchase fixed. At least if they used one of their Canadian addresses it would only cost me $5.64. And yes, I could just mail it out for $1, but over the years I have had more than a few companies say they never got my rebate form, and because you are forced to send your originals, at that point, you're SOL.

That said, Future Shop is the one that actually sold it to me, so I'm going to go there today and make a huge stink and try and get them to take it back before I resort to sending in the disk to Sony.

Juan,

Don't forget their admitting to payola as well. (After all, we want to give credit where credit is due =p).

5. Stephen Heath

Update : Future Shop has no problems taking them back, they were pulling them from the shelves as I got there.

I wouldn't be surprised if people at the Future Shop/Best Buy head office are regular readers of tvshowsondvd.com too [​IMG]

6. David M.

David M. Agent

Sony's response to my inquiry was to return the set to the store of purchase, Best Buy in my case with two options available to me. Refund or exchange with corrected set which should arrive in store in 7-10 days.

7. PatW

PatW Screenwriter

Patricia
    I bought my Stargate Atlantis at Rogers and luckily my set is fine. My friend got her's online and she received two disc 1, one of which was incorrectly labelled.

8. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if someone had posted this prior to the recent purge, but I just thought I'd let my fellow Canadians know that my local Best Buy got their replacement Stargate Atlantis: Season 1 sets in on Thursday. I exchanged mine, and now I have a correct disc 5! [​IMG]