Sony c555es SACD Hookup: 5.1 AND 2 channel wanted

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Nov 5, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I have a new multichannel capable Sony SACD player arriving on Wednesday. Traditionally, I've been a two channel, analog bypass kind of guy, but want to give SACD 5.1 music a try.
    To experience both 2 channel and multi channel music, should I hook up the player to both 5.1 inputs AND a L-R input, or just the 5.1 inputs and then select 2 channel playback directly on the Sony SACD player?
    Thanks for the help!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

How many cables do you want to connect? [​IMG]
    Front L/R should be available on the 5.1 outputs regardless of the number of channels.
    I think the reason they include both stereo and 5.1 outputs is so that you can connect the player to a straight two channel setup and a 5.1 setup simultaneously.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
    [Edited last by John Kotches on November 05, 2001 at 09:43 AM]

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

John K: Thanks for your answer!
    The reason I asked was because I've been told that each multichannel SACD disc has a two channel CD, a two channel SACD and a multichannel SACD track. I'd assume (incorrectly?) that the output from the L-R only output would automatically output the two channel SACD track and the 5.1 output would by default output the 5.1 track. I thought that by connecting both outputs, I could select what I want to hear by just selecting the input on my pre/pro and not have to go into the SACD menuing? If you still have to select playback mode on the SACD player, then it would make sense to ONLY connect the 5.1 output.??? Right?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, Mr. Kotches is correct with regards to connecting the 'C555ES. Your pre-amp or receiver should engage an analog bypass mode by default with the 5.1-channel inputs, so you should be good to go with both stereo and multi-channel music using the 5.1-channel outputs on the 'C555ES. By contrast, the higher-end SCD-XA777ES single-disc player requires you to use the stereo analog outputs for playback of stereo SACDs and CDs (though you can use a digital output for CDs as well). With the 'XA777ES, you cannot play stereo material through the front left and right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs. People have said that since the 'XA777ES was designed with audiophiles in mind, the stereo analog outputs were designed to deliver cleaner signals (higher-end analog output stage through the stereo analog outputs, less interference from other channels and circuitry, etc.).
    Getting back to the 'C555ES, I believe the stereo analog outputs are provided, as Mr. Kotches said, so that you can simultaneously connect the player to stereo and home-theater systems. That's what I do with my 'C555ES and Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player. I run the stereo analog outputs to my stereo integrated amp for playback of stereo SACDs, stereo DVD-Audio tracks, and CDs and run the 5.1-channel outputs to my A/V receiver for playback of multi-channel music. That works very well for me because my modest home-theater set-up is not that great for stereo music reproduction.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Keith: Maybe I am not voicing my question clearly enough. Here is my real question: If I hook up the 555 via only the 5.1 outputs, how can I play back a multi channel SACD in 2 channel mode? Do I just select "Two Channel SACD Playback" (and not 5.1 channel SACD playback) on one of the menus of the Sony 555es?
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John Morris, not all SACDs have CD layers. SACDs with CD layers are called hybrid discs. There are four types of SACDs out there:
    * Single-layer stereo SACDs: As you can probably guess, these discs have no CD layers and no multi-channel SACD tracks. Sony is the only label that is producing these discs, though they are producing fewer of them now that multi-channel SACD has hit the streets. There are many single-layer stereo SACDs available relative to the other types of SACDs that are being marketed.
    * Single-layer stereo/multi-channel SACDs: These discs also lack a CD layer. Sony is the only label producing these discs. Note that all SACDs released with a multi-channel SACD track have to have a discrete stereo SACD track. Thus, there is no folding down of multi-channel SACD tracks to stereo.
    * Dual-layer stereo SACD/CD discs (hybrid discs): These discs have a CD layer, but no multi-channel SACD track. All music labels producing SACDs other than Sony are including CD layers.
    * Dual-layer stereo/multi-channel SACD/CD discs (hybrid discs): These discs have everything on them. Again, Sony has yet to produce any of these discs.
    As for operation of the 'C555ES, it will select the multi-channel SACD track by default if the track is present, regardless of what outputs you are using. In other words, if you have the stereo analog outputs connected to a stereo amp and the 5.1-channel outputs connected to an A/V receiver as I do, you can play the multi-channel track through the stereo analog outputs if you have the multi-channel track selected. It sounds strange. The player doesn't know which outputs you are using. It just plays whichever track you have selected.
    When I first got the 'C555ES, it took me a little while to get used to the fact that it selects multi-channel SACD tracks by default. I loaded the Billy Joel The Stranger multi-channel SACD the first night with the 'C555ES and wanted to play the stereo track through my stereo system. However, I had the multi-channel track selected (again, it is selected by default) and was wondering why the sound was screwed up. [​IMG]
    Note that in my set-up, when I play a stereo SACD or CD on the 'C555ES, the stereo signals are also going through the front left and right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs to my A/V receiver. Of course, I don't have both sound systems on at the same time. In any event, you will have to select the stereo track manually when you want to play it regardless of how you connect your player.
    ------------------
    My:

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, my last post crossed with your last post, and I think I answered your question somewhat in that post, but let me clarify things a bit. The remote for the 'C555ES has a button that allows you to switch between the stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks. So, regardless of how you decide to handle stereo playback (i.e., using the 5.1-channel outputs or the stereo analog outputs), just hit the multi-channel/stereo button on the remote to toggle between the two tracks. As I said in my previous post, the 'C555ES will select the multi-channel SACD track by default, but hitting the multi-channel/stereo button will cause the 'C555ES to read the stereo track TOC, and you're good to go.
    Likewise, the remote for the 'C555ES has an SACD/CD button that allows you to toggle between SACD and CD layers on hybrid discs. If you have a multi-channel/stereo SACD/CD hybrid disc you could use the SACD/CD button to go from the CD layer to the SACD layer and then the multi-channel/stereo button to toggle between the stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks.
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------
    My:

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Keith: Thank you very much for the education on SACD!
    When I was shopping for an SACD player, I was torn between the two channel 333es for $500 and the 555es for $800. I eventually got the 555es partly due to the statement someone made about the 555 using its' DACs in parallel when playing back SACDs in two channel mode. It was explained that this playback would produce superior sound to the 333es's stereo playback.
    It is comforting to hear that I can still select stereo playback on those SACD discs that offer it, while using only the players 5.1 outputs. I already have The Stranger, James Taylor and a few classical SACDs but never bothered to read the formats that were available on each disc. I guess I really need to read the back covers of any SACDs that I may want to buy.... [​IMG]
    Thanks again for your help!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John Morris, glad to help. Since you had the extra $300 to spend, I think you made the right decision in getting the 'C555ES over the 'C333ES. Granted that I haven't compared them even though I own both, but you now get to experience multi-channel SACD and have a player with newer DAC technology in the 'C555ES. The 'C333ES is serving me very well in my second system where multi-channel SACD can't be utilized, but I am very happy with the 'C555ES.
    ------------------
    My:

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Keith,
    I am not Mr. Kotches [​IMG]
    I'm either John, JK or that crazy guy from Secrets [​IMG]
    I can understand where the stereo/MC issue becomes confusing for everyone.
    It's a brave new (multi-channel) world out there!
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

JK, I thought simply writing 'John' might be confusing since John Morris initiated this thread. I'll get it right next time. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My: