sony c333es sacd player at audiogon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshS, Oct 10, 2001.

1. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

I have found several of these 2 channel sacd changers on audiogon for around $500.00. Some are brand new and some are slightly used. I've been looking for a new cd player for a while now. Sterophile rates this player as class A! Does anybody have one of these players? Your comments are appreciated. IMHO I think these prices are great considering the retail price of $1200.00.
    Thanks
    Josh

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I think Keith H. has this player...i'll bet he'll be by shortly.
    - Chip
    ------------------

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip,
    Here I am, right on cue. [​IMG]
    Josh,
    As Chip alluded to, I have a Sony SCD-C333ES in my second stereo system, and it is a great player. Let's first discuss build quality. The player is a tank in comparison to most any carousel changer you will come across (the Cal Audio CL-10 CD changer is one of the few that compares in that respect). The 'C333ES weighs in at 23 lbs., and the chassis is rock solid. The door that covers the carousel drawer is a nice aesthetic touch, and some audiophiles feel it acts as a dampening device to improve the sound.
    As for the sound, I can't say enough about how good the 'C333ES is as a CD player for the price. I have told people in the past to forget what they think about carousel changers when looking into the 'C333ES. It is an excellent CD player. Then there is SACD. SACD is a joy to behold. I also have a Sony SCD-777ES single-disc SACD/CD player in another system, which is an outstanding component, but the 'C333ES comes rather close in performance.
    Something to consider about the 'C333ES before jumping at a deal on Audiogon. Do you, by chance, live in the western US? I ask because Good Guys is blowing out the 'C333ES for $400. I don't live out that way, but many people have been talking about Good Guys' price over on Audio Asylum. The problem with Good Guys is that they only sell Sony ES SACD players in their stores, so if you don't live in their area, you're out of luck, unless of course, you know someone out there who can get one for you.
    Getting back to Audiogon, just be careful whom you are buying from. I know that J&R Music World, an authorized Sony dealer, is selling the 'C333ES for $599 (brand new, sealed box). That's more than the guys on Audiogon are charging, but you will not have any problems with J&R. It is sometimes possible to work with J&R on price, especially if you know of a lower price from another authorized dealer.
    One other player you might consider is the new Sony SCD-C222ES multi-channel SACD changer. It retails for $800, but Oade Bros., another authorized Sony dealer, is selling it for $575 (brand new, sealed box). You can call them at 1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480. They are a very good dealer. Anyway, one person on Audio Asylum said that the 'C222ES in two-channel mode (CDs and SACDs) is actually better than the 'C333ES. I haven't heard the 'C222ES to be able to comment. The 'C222ES is not built as well as the 'C333ES, however. For example, the 'C222ES weighs around 16 lbs. (remember the 'C333ES weighs 23 lbs.) and lacks a door that covers the carousel drawer. However, the 'C222ES does offer multi-channel SACD, if that is attractive to you. Anyway, you might want to look into it.
    In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with the 'C333ES or 'C222ES.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Keith for your thorough reply. The big reason I was looking at this player was because I would be putting it into a 2 channel setup, not my theater system. So multichannel is out of the question. As for my location, I live in central Pa, so I guess Good Guys is out of the question. I am building this 2 channel system from scratch and I figured I would start with my source. Thanks again Keith.
    Josh

5. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I would HIGHLY recommend that player.
    If your aren't concerned about Multi Channel SACD, it would be a great choice at that price....
    The unit is built like a rock, and is a stellar Performer in all aspects...
    NO base management on 2 Channel SACD though....
    Good Luck,
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email:
    [email protected]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, no problem at all. The 'C333ES is an excellent place to start a stereo system. Even though you can't get it through Good Guys, you are still doing well at $425-600 through Audiogon or J&R Music World. If you decide to get one, I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.
    Central PA, huh? I don't suppose you live in or around State College. I'm Penn State Class of '92. Wow, the Nittany Lion football team is awful. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:

7. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ric, now that you have had your 'C333ES modified, are you still using the Perpetual Technologies DAC with it? Do Dan Wright's modifications improve the qualities of the 'C333ES as a CD transport? I'm wondering if you find that CDs sound better using the analog outputs on the 'C333ES or the outboard DAC.
    ------------------
    My:

9. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Keith,
    I live in Lititz, which is just north of Lancaster. I to attended penn state, but only for 3 years. I might wait on this player for a while. I saw the price and thought it would be a fantastic deal but since a lot of places are selling it for close to the prices I've seen on audiogon I might just hold on for a month or two. I thought if I didn't buy it right now on audiogon that I would never get that price again. Thanks again for all the help, I don't post that much but I read and learn every day from this site. HTF rocks.
    Josh

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, I am not familiar with the area in which you live, but it seems like there are millions upon millions of towns in Pennsylvania. [​IMG]
    As for the 'C333ES, waiting is a tough call. Just bear in mind that it was discontinued in April, which is when I bought mine. Crutchfield, a very large mail-order dealer, stopped getting the 'C333ES a couple months ago. Obviously I have no idea what kind of stock various dealers have or whether Sony has remaining inventory, but when they are gone, they are gone. I remember the '777ES disappeared very suddenly when it was discontinued, though there may have been fewer of them to start with since it was a more expensive machine. Anyway, I would call J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) to see if they will budge at all from $599. They usually need to see a lower price from another authorized dealer, but it's worth a shot anyway. J&R is the only authorized mail-order dealer I am aware of that still has the 'C333ES.
    I realize the prices on Audiogon are very attractive, but $599 for the 'C333ES is quite good, given that it originally retailed for $1200. I am, however, a bit surprised that J&R hasn't lowered the price further, seeing as I paid $600 for it through them six months ago. However, J&R hasn't gotten in the 'C222ES, so the 'C333ES is the only relatively inexpensive ES SACD changer they have. Taking stock of the 'C222ES could give them cause to lower the price of the 'C333ES. You might check every so often if J&R has gotten in the 'C222ES as well as checking on their current price of the 'C333ES just to see if their getting in the former causes a price drop on the latter. I don't mean to sound like an obnoxious salesman, but I wouldn't wait too long on the 'C333ES, however.
    ------------------
    My:

11. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor