Sony C222ES

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RobCar, May 28, 2003.

1. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Just got one of these. So far, liking it quite a bit -- and I don't even own any SACDs yet. It's a real solid unit. Heavy, and big, which I like. And it definitely plays 2-channel CDs well.

My only complaint so far is that, as people have said, it's noisy when changing CDs. In fact, the first time it changed, it scared me. But I've since gotten used to it.

Now I need to get me some SACDs.

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hi. I'm sorta considering this player also though I'm pretty set on the Philips 963sa right now. If you don't mind my asking, how did you decide on this player? What others have you compared it to in your shopping, etc?

I'd like to get some opinions comparing the Philips (maybe even the 795sa) w/ this changer, but so far, zilch. I'll try to get a demo comparison locally at J&R before I finalize my decision, but I'd like to hear some more since J&R doesn't have things set up very well for a good comparison.

Thanks.

_Man_

3. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Well, I started out simply looking for a CD changer. Turns out you can get half-decent models for like 100 bucks these days. When I first read about the C222es, it retailed for $600, and Crutchfield carries it for $499 now. But then I found out that you can find it for closer to $300-$350, and more like $250 or less for used but in excellent condition. So basically, I bought it without ever seeing one in real life (let alone listening to one) based on what others had said about it, based on its falling price, and based on the added bonus of getting SACD in addition to the regular CD changer that I was initially looking for.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, well done! The 'C222ES is an excellent value. If you feel good about your purchase now, wait until you get some SACDs!

5. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Keith. Actually, I read a lot of posts, and really found them helpful in making the decision. You might own more CD players than some stores, from the looks of it!

6. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I have had my eye on the 222 for awhile, but I was wondering if it has been discontinued? I went to my local ES dealer yesterday, and he told me that they would be unable to bring in any Sony stand-alone SACD players (with the exception of the 777ES) because they had ALL been discontinued.

Today, I noticed that the 222ES is not on the Sony Canada web page. Anyone know if I should still be able to find a NEW one in Canada??

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Do any of the usual online stores have the 222s (Oade Bros., JandR, Crutchfield, etc.)? I know both my local Tweeters still stock them, but they charge in the $5-600 range as I recall (as much as my C555ES!).

8. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

Oade has them, and at a much lower cost....

Kimo B.

9. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Nick V,

Last October I was in the same position as you, Sony Canada didn't have any 222s left, although it was still listed in their database for the rediculous price of $1099 CDN.

I ended up ordering from Oade Bros. and got the unit for $360 US shipped. After the UPS brokerage fees & GST it cost me about $715 CDN to my door, definitely worth it. With the present stronger Canadian dollar you might get it to your door for not much more than $600 CDN.

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Don't know if J&R would sell them online or by mail now. But their local store has it for the "special price" of ~$380.

Just received my copy of DSOTM and Every Breath You Take SACDs. Still waiting for my order from Tower Records to arrive before I head out to J&R for a demo and purchase (most likely either the C222ES or the Philips 963sa). [​IMG]

_Man_

11. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

So which stores carry SACDs? Or do I have to order them online?

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Online is the best selection (amusicdirect, elusivedisc, tower, etc.), but the brick-and-mortar Tower Records generally carries a decent selection. Best Buy has a worse selection, but good prices. Virgin carries some, but very poor selection and overpriced. Online is usually the way to go.

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I haven't tried looking in the big chains yet, but it sounds like Circuit City does. I'd assume Virgin Megastore, HMV and especially Tower would also.

Oddly, J&R has a very tiny "section" for DVD-A/SACD, which is too bad since I work so close to their store.

Anyway, so far, I'm just ordering online, but will probably shop at Tower and CC (and maybe Best Buy) on occasion. Too bad you just missed the SACD sale at Tower's site. That's what I'm waiting for -- should arrive today.

_Man_

14. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Try RedTrumpet.com

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, glad to help. Yes, I have a decent selection of CD players. All models you see on my web site are in stock! [​IMG]

Circuit City has a horrendous selection of SACDs that rarely changes. They have the Stones hybrids and The Police Every Breath You Take -- The Classics hybrid since these discs replaced the older CDs. I always see the old, tired Sony titles in the SACD kiosks at Circuit City. Best Buy, however, has a much better selection. Tower is better yet, but their prices are high.

Ironically, circuitcity.com has a good selection of SACDs. Prices on some discs are high, but others are quite good. You can do quite well if you catch their free shipping offer.

Other web sites to order SACDs from include:

www.amusicdirect.com
    www.acousticsounds.com
    www.elusivedisc.com
    www.towerrecords.com
    www.amazon.com
    www.hmv.co.jp (good for SACDs released only in Japan)

16. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Cool, thanks! We have a Media Play store not too far from us, so I thought I'd have a look in there. I went to the local record shop last night and was looking at some of the Stones CDs, thinking they might be hybrids but not labelled ... Is that possible? I think I heard something to that effect. Didn't have time to ask, then got distracted by the new Led Zeppelin DVD that just came out, and which I brought home.

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Yes, all the ABKCO Stones CDs in the digipacks are SACD/CD hybrids. They're just "stealth", sorta like the Trojan horse of the SACD format. I recommend "Beggar's Banquet" most of all, followed by "Let It Bleed".

18. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

That's what I thought, thanks.

Just back from Borders with Dark Side of the Moon, and all I can say is OMG!

19. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Question about DSOTM. I've never owned my own copy on CD (or LP) before, so it's been a very long time since I got to hear it. But the redbook layer on the new SACD sounded hauntingly more vivid and powerful than I remember from an old CD I heard more than a decade ago. Granted, my memory cannot really be trusted for such a distant comparison, but still, makes me wonder since it sent chills down my back at times, which is actually quite rare for me.

_Man_

20. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Just wait 'till you hear the SACD layers. It's like a veil being lifted.