What's new

Sony Blu-Ray player "upscaling" question (1 Viewer)

kevin55

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
I just got my first Blu-Ray player. It is a Sony BDP-S500, but this is a general question. If you're playing a regular DVD movie (not Blu-Ray), does the player have to be set to "upconvert" to 1080p (it, the player, upscales to 1080p)?..It is connected to a Sony 52" XBR5 LCD TV. If I play a regular DVD movie, and hit the "Display" button on my TV's remote, it say's 480p..I guess that's the input it senses. I just bought the TV 2 weeks ago, & the Blu-Ray player arrived yesterday. A few want to know how the S500 player is, & as soon as I run it thru it's paces..I'll post the results here, but for now..how do you set the Sonys to "upconvert/upscale"? Any input appreciated!
Thanks in advance..:)

kevin55

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Forgot to mention..it's connected via HDMI cable...I tried the "Live Chat" @ Sony & they said to use the component outputs/inputs to get upscaling..is this true?

kevin55

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Might be because I have it set on "Source Direct" under "Video Format" (the player)...Will try that....

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
HDMI is the way to go. As far as I know, no player will upconvert copy protected DVDs via component video outputs. I seriously doubt this one will.

I assume it's a setting in the player somewhere. Hopefully the video format settings work!

judgej

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
Hi,

You need to go to the Blu Ray Menu and set the video signal to AUTO. It will automatically detect the 'format type' and this will display on your Sony (display) button remote.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks