Sony Blu-Ray, HDMI and DTS question

I have the new Sony Blu-ray player and was wondering if it will decode the new DTS HD codec and output it via HDMI. I have a Yahama receiver with HDMI 1.1 and it can handle the uncompressed PCM. The Sony manual seems to indicate that the player will decode the DTS HD, but I've read a variety of different things and was hoping for a more definitive answer.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
It will decode DTS-HD (the name for DTS at 1.5 Mbps on BD) but not the lossless DTS-MA...yet. A future update is planned for this once DTS gets their butt in gear I guess, since NO ONE offers it yet out of the box.

I'd set it to "bitstream" for now since the DTS decoder in the PS3 ignores DTS-ES 6.1 material (outputting a 5.1 version instead). "X-Men: The Last Stand" sounds much better decoded by my Onkyo 803 via HDMI 1.1 rather than letting the PS3 convert it to PCM. Plus all the post processing, LFE levels, THX, etc is done on the bitstreams and not the PCM.

SCB

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane Buettner
Hello- I read this thread earlier and Mr. THX's response is not entirely accurate. None of the existing Blu-ray players, including the PS3, can decode DTS-HD High Resolution Audio or DTS-HD Master Audio streams at full resolution. They are only capable of decoding the "core" DTS stream at 1.5Mbps that DTS has taken to marketing now as "DTS Encore" (like we need more new terms for the same technology these days!).

DTS Encore is essentially the original DTS codec, and a DTS Encore stream can allegedly be decoded by any existing legacy DTS decoder. Both DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio are encoded as "extensions" of the original codec on HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs. DTS-HD High Resolution audio, which is sometimes referred to merely as DTS-HD, is still a lossy codec but capable of encoding at higher data rates- up to 3.0Mbps on HD DVD and up to 6.0Mbps on Blu-ray. DTS-HD Master Audio is of course the "losless" audio codec that operates at even higher rates but offers full bit for bit reconstruction of the soundtrack master on playback.

DTS has actually got a decent and informative page up on its web site on this

dtsonline.com/dts-hd/dts-on-bluray-and-hddvd.php

(Note- add http colon, slash-slash and then www to this- I had to do it like I did because I've not posted 10 times on this forum and can't yet post a direct link!)

As confusing as this certainly is, it is nevertheless not correct to say that the Sony BD player (or any other) can yet decode DTS-HD. For now, the players are merely capable of decoding, transcoding or passing along the "core" DTS Encore stream at 1.5Mbps.

Hope this helps!

Shane Buettner
Buyer's Guide and Technical Editor, Ultimate AV
ultimateAVmag.com

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm, interesting. Thanks Mr Buettner.

I was under the impression DTS got rid of the "Encore" designation and merely decided to use it for any DTS track at 1.5 Mbps and above.

Especially since the LionsGate BDs are marked "DTS-HD"

SCB

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane Buettner
I hope that they have dumped DTS Encore as a term. I always thought that would add confusion to an already confused marketplace.

However, it would be quite misleading if the studios, with or without DTS' urging, were to encode what is essentially a standard DTS Digital Surround track at 1.5Mbps and refer to it as "DTS-HD." If there aren't HD extensions with additional soundtrack information beyond DTS' standard 1.5Mbps threshold it shouldn't be called DTS-HD, IMO.

-Shane

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does anyone know at what bitrate the "dtsHD" on Stargate was? I know it was not master lossless as with Fox's BR disks.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ab1979