What's new

Sony Blu Ray BD550 connection question. (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I just have a few quick questions about making the connections...

I'll be connecting it to a B&K AVR 507 with no HDMI input. This receiver does have analog inputs for 5.1 DVD Audio. Should I use these, or would I be better off just connecting via the optical cable? Using the analog inputs will I get the Tru HD sound? Is the sound through the optical the same quality as standard DVD?

My Dlp projector outputs 720P so I would also like to know if there is any reason to connect to the projector using the HDMI cable vice the component video cable. Thanks in advance everyone!

Greg

Paul D G

Screenwriter

If your receiver can't convert the newer audio codecs, then you would need to use the analog cables and set the player to decode for you. Otherwise the player will only send out 2.0 via the optical cable.

Also, to get DTS Master Audio you need to correctly set up the player: change the "Audio Output Priority" to "Multi Channel Analog" and the "BD Audio" setting to "Direct".

Finally, if you only have 5.1 inputs, you will need to set up the player for 5.1 audio by turning off the (i think it's the) rear speakers. The player will then combine both the side and rear channels on 7.1 tracks.

Additionally, from what I understand, the analog LFE track is too low and you need to boost your sub by 10db on the receiver.

Does anyone know if this player will play back 4x3 dvds without stretching? I haven't gone through all the settings yet, but it appears so. This would mean I have to keep my old dvd player hooked up. Kind of an annoyance if true.

-paul

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Yes. There is a setting in the setup menu for this. Under "Screen Format", select "Fixed Aspect Ratio" instead of the default "Original". The wording in the manual is very poor, but this setting should windowbox 4x3 material instead of stretching it.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
One more question...

If I use the analog inputs what happens when I play a standard DVD? Will the sound be the same as Dolby 5.1? Do I need to connect both the analog and the optical to get the best sound from each format? Thanks again.....

My player arrived today and out of the box it looks and sounds great. Again, I'm connected to a 720P DLP projector via component cables. The picture quality appears slightly better than My older Denon 2900. I can't wait for my first Blu Ray disk to arrive so I can see the difference.... I have the player set to output 1080i...

Greg

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg

Will it make a difference? My projector (In Focus IN76) can display 1080i so wouldn't the picture quality be the same? If not please explain....

Can anyone answer my question regarding the DD decoding through the 5.1 analog outputs on my reciever with standard DVD's.... Do I need to connect via analog to achieve the highest sound quality for Blu Ray disks and connect via optical to achieve the highest sound quality for standard DVD's?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

In your previous post you only stated the projector was 720p. My response was based on that. You did not mention that the projector also projected 1080i.

Are you sure the projector can project at either 720p or 1080i, or just accept both inputs and then converts to its native resolution? Most digital displays have only one native resolution. You should set your BD player to that same native resolution. If it does support both 720p and 1080i natively, then I would try both and see which looks better to you.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg

Fair enough assumption Scott. To be honest with you I'm not sure about the native format of the IN76 and the literature is slightly confusing to me. I am assuming based on what I've read that it does both 720P and 1080i. I'll play with the settings and choose the one that looks best. Maybe someone else familiar with this projector can clarify for me....

I'm still hoping someone here can educate me on the audio settings of the 550...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'd say it's a matter of taste. See how the DD decoding the player works as opposed to your B & K. If you're happier with the sound quality from your B & K, maintain the optical connection; if there's no discernible difference, just use your analogue outs for everything.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Some receivers do not allow for any processing of their analog inputs. If yours is like this, you may prefer using the digital optical output for standard DVDs. My Pioneer Elite falls in this category, and I do like using the receiver's THX processing for movies.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg

After spending a few hours playing around with the settings last night and going back and forth between the analog and the optical i would have to agree. The sound I'm getting through the optical out is much better than it is through the analog, so until I decide to upgrade my receiver this is how I'll have the Blu Ray set up.

One more thing (maybe)... Is there a way to adjust speaker levels using the test tones from the Player connected through the optical out? Why would they have made this feature available using multi analog only?

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks