What's new

SONY BDV-E690 to Play FLAC Format (1 Viewer)

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Hi friends!!
I am planning to buy Sony BDV-E690 Home Theatre System & LG 42LS6200 3D TV this week end... I am not quiet sure if the Home theatre which I have chosen is a right combination for the TV..
If you have any better choice for HT please let me know.. Its costing around 600 USD in India.. I don't want to spend more than that..
Main problem with my current choice is , none of the above two plays FLAC format .. Is there any way to play FLAC format in this Home theatre..
Thanks.. Balu

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Sony has 1 optical in, so it's possible you can find a media player to handle your flacs. But I'm not a fan of Sony receivers/HTiBs, and this one has no other input connections, so you'll be severely limited. The Yamaha YHT-597 HTiB should handle the flacs as it has a DLNA network connection (I say should because I can't download the manual right now to confirm); so you can plug into a PC/NAS. It lists for $650.
I have the Yamaha RX-V671, which I got specifically to play flacs, and it has worked out quite well. The only problem I have is it insists on listing the tracks in alphabetically order, instead of track# order. But I think that's a server problem, not a receiver problem, and I've been too lazy to work on it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why are you worried about FLAC with a craptastic HTiB in the first place?
If you cared about audio quality, you wouldn't buy an "all in one" in the first place.
An actual receiver based HTiB, if you must have HTiB, is much better...
The Yamaha referenced above or this one...at the bare minimum...
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S6500-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B008DB9OMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347390419&sr=1-1&keywords=onkyo+ht-s6500

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Thanks for your replies.. I am quite new to forum as well as this home theatres.. I have no idea about these receivers and stuff.. I read through lots of blogs today to gain some knowledge..
I have few questions.. might be basic ones..
1. The model which I picked has no HDMI inputs. is this the same input which you are talking about connecting the media player or any other audio inputs??
2. Is this HDMI input used for connecting my PC to Home theatre also? If no HDMI Input means, I can't play music in my laptop through the Home theatre speaker system?
3. If Media Player can play everything via USB, why do I even require a Blue-ray Player, I hardly play a dvd/cd/blue-ray disc??
Does it mean, I can just buy these 5.1 Speakers alone(with out Blue-ray player) & a Media Player & TV and Finish my Job
by connecting Media Player to TV and TV to output audio to 5.1 speakers ?? Is this possible?? Or Do I need any receiver to connect these
three.
not sure If my questions are valid..
My Requirement is ,
Play any kind of audio/video format via USB. Able to select the files in my TV and hear the audio via 5.1 or any other good sound system.
Thanks .
Balu

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your questions make it appear you are farther behind the 8-ball than originally thought here.
If you don't play "physical media", why buy something able to? (you are thinking in the correct direction)
What I would buy is a receiver, a real one. Accessories for less (accessories4less.com) have (assuming they are going to still have at least one of these) an Onkyo at $99 and a Denon at $119. Either of those would preform the job you need.
As for a way to "play" your chosen media.
Most modern computer have HDMI. Most "better" modern computer have 5.1 sound cards(simply having an HDMI, does not guarantee 5.1).
If you don't play discs, there are a sub-category of computers called "entertainment PC". These, such as the Acer Revo, are intended to actually mount of the back of the TV and not even be seen. Those don't even come with a DVD/BD drive...although you could add one on USB.
HDMI, is a nutshell, is the "wave of the future". With DRM/HDCP creating a stranglehold...you'll have to buy something with HDMI if you want HD viewing.

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Thanks for your quick response..
Not sure about these "entertainment PC" and Not sure whether My laptop has 5.1 sound card or not .. But this is what I have understood for now and came up with below 4
1. A good Receiver - Yamaha RX-V371
2. A Media Player - Western Digital TV Live
3. A TV with HDMI - LG
4. 5.1 Speaker System - Yet to decide.
Please see if these are decent choices.
For Speaker System, I am looking for a system with at least two tower Speakers(suitable for my room) . Please suggest If you have something in mind.
Thanks
Balu

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nothing wrong with the Yammy 371. The only reason I offered up this one...is cost...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html (there are 2 Onkyo and 3 Denon under $150)
However, if you'd like a receiver that can handle your music, without "needing" anything else(like your western digital idea)...
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88YU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347465509&sr=1-1&keywords=nr414 (I would pick this over the 371, but that is just me)
Edit:
In my opinion, the 371 sits at a price where for "not much more" you can get the NR414, then you don't have to use the WD/TVL all the time. And by "spending less" you can pay $150 or under on one of the receivers at A4L. Nothing wrong with a refurb.

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Thanks I too think the option NR414 is a better choice. I will check all the prices and features and compare them.
Does any body has choices for 5.1 sound system with tower speakers. I did so much of research buy unable to figure out right one.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speakers...there is no "right one"
Fluance has a set for $270 that is about as low as it gets...and isn't complete garbage(complete garbage is "white van scam" crap that people buying "on the cheap" tend to find and get burned by)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluance-AVHTB-5-Speaker-Surround-Sound-Home-Theater-System-/130687010224?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1e6d8d85b0 (it is also on Amazon, same price)
The only negative review I've ever seen is "lack of bass"...but that is why you buy a subwoofer.
An NR414/V371/AVR391 + Fluance + BIC V1020(in my opinion, the lowest subwoofer option there is...that is worth more than the cash outlay) would be a decent starter set-up.

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Thanks for your suggestions..
I have been to a store and saw these tower speakers for the first time... and almost decided not to buy them after seeing their size..
As you suggested, I will pick one of the receivers and a small wall mountable 5.1 system.
Looked for few options in JBL but seems bit costly and few in ONKYO but didn't like it much.
Not sure what to buy...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Another option...take your $700-ish budget and take a crack at Craigslist. I'm in Chicago, so my pickings are always good. Have heard that Craigslist Houston, TX is a freakin goldmine...
What you are buying for $700-ish, some guy who "met some girl" 6 months ago, decided to move in...relationship heading south...needs starter for his truck and is willing to sell the whole thing for $250(cost of a new starter).

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Next time .. I will note the model number ..
To buy that $250 kit.. I stay in India !!
any how.. I saw few more today..
YHT-298
YHT-196 ..
http://in.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-298_black_l/?mode=model
They are coming with 5.1 Speaker system & the receiver.. costing around USD 650 in India..
I am ok with the price.. but are there any disadvantages with this receiver compared to the receivers which you have suggested above NR414/V371 ??

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Just to be clear you are shopping in India? And that would mean you are Indian? If so congratulations on your very good English! Next Sam might be confusing you with some local phrases and traditions. Putting the names and models in a hat and Eenie meenie minie mo is an old saying to help you make a decision when you can't manage it on your own (basically random), same with throwing darts against a board. The point I believe he is trying to make is that without listening to all your speaker options no one can tell you which will sound the best as everyone has their own tastes.
As for Craigslist do they have that in India?
What you said earlier, a tv, a WD tv live and a receiver with speakers is all you should need.
Sam's point about the FLAC was that you won't hear an improvement in sound until you have higher end speakers at least, more than $600usd will buy you.
I would however avoid a full 5.1 setup if you are mainly going to be listening to music. Start with two speakers up front as nice as you can afford. This will make the music sound better than more speakers will.
Ps Sam, that story was awfully detailed...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
English is the native language in India...(along with Hindi. Also lots of Panjabi, Sanskrit, Urdu, amongst others. One of the men I worked with is Sikh)
He probably got the Eeenie, Meenie, Minie, Mo since it is British English.
Had I known he was in India though, I wouldn't gone into the CL thing. But yeah, that "selling stuff to pay rent/fix the truck/moving out/security deposit"...happens all the time on CL.

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
I was almost ready to buy that Sony HT.. last week.. Now I have no idea what to buy and totally confused with so many brands out there..
I never knew or never heard of anything called receivers or media players before I joined this forum..
But definitely have learnt things about these home theatres and got to know few sayings too :)
Any how I have dropped buying them for a week at least.. Let me do more research and will post my findings here....
Thanks for all your time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If I can find it, there is another person from India who linked a web-store that sold separates. The prices were in Rupee, so I had no clue...But it was all stuff we could get here. They even sold jamo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks