What's new

Sony BDP-S789 - multi region - code free. (1 Viewer)

Naharrya

Auditioning
Real Name
Harry Dash
Hi, Can somebody explain me, please, what is the difference between these 3 items, what is multi region and code free? Thanks. Naharrya Amazon.co.uk "Sony BDP- Blu-ray s780 Disc Player" 1. Sony BDPS780B 3D Blu-Ray Disc/DVD Player with Built In Wi-Fi & 2x USB Playback by Sony Buy new: £209.95 Region Two Playback Only In stock 2. Sony BDPS780 Blu Ray / DVD Player MULTI REGION (DVD SIDE ONLY) by Sony (Electronics) 1 new from £219.99 3. 2011 CODEFREE 3D SONY WI-FI BDP-S780 Multi Region Code Free DVD 012345678 PAL/NTSC Blu Ray Zone A+B+C Player & 2D/3D Conversion. PAL or MULTI-SYSTEM TV is required to watch PAL DVDs (Free HDMi Cable) by Sony Buy new: £459.00 In stock (1) Eligible for FREE Super Saver Delivery. Product Features – "... in WiFi, Blu-ray Disc Java ... The Sony BDP-S780 can convert ..." Electronics & Photo: See all 5 items

There are something like six DVD "regions" and three Blu-ray "zones". I have a region-free DVD, multi-zone Blu-ray Panasonic player. On mine, the DVDs from different regions play without any manipulation. With the different zone Blu-rays, you have to select either 1,2, or 3 on your remote before you power on the player. On the players you mentioned, it appears #1 will only play region 2 DVDs. #2 will play multi-region DVDs but not multi-zone Blu-rays. #3 will play everything, hence the higher price. As stated, you will need a TV capable of playing PAL discs for region 2 DVDs or zone B Blu-rays discs. Most modern non-CRT TVs, monitors, and projectors can do this.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
John Hermes said:
There are something like six DVD "regions" and three Blu-ray "zones". I have a region-free DVD, multi-zone Blu-ray Panasonic player. On mine, the DVDs from different regions play without any manipulation. With the different zone Blu-rays, you have to select either 1,2, or 3 on your remote before you power on the player. On the players you mentioned, it appears #1 will only play region 2 DVDs. #2 will play multi-region DVDs but not multi-zone Blu-rays. #3 will play everything, hence the higher price. As stated, you will need a TV capable of playing PAL discs for region 2 DVDs or zone B Blu-rays discs. Most modern non-CRT TVs, monitors, and projectors can do this.
I don't believe PAL or NTSC enters the discussion regarding standard Blu-ray disks unless there is specific extra content that is not already 1080/24. So any HD TV should be fine playing Blu-rays from other regions. However, I wouldn't assume most modern non-CRT TVs can handle both PAL and NTSC. Some brands do and some don't, so i would definitely check before going region free with DVD's. The other option is looking for a player that converts between formats. Again, some do and some don't.

"However, I wouldn't assume most modern non-CRT TVs can handle both PAL and NTSC. Some brands do and some don't, so i would definitely check before going region free with DVD's. The other option is looking for a player that converts between formats. Again, some do and some don't.| I certainly believe most will these days. You are right about Blu-ray. It is TV system non-dependent in regard to NTSC or PAL.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
John Hermes said:
I certainly believe most will these days. You are right about Blu-ray. It is TV system non-dependent in regard to NTSC or PAL.
And you are basing this on actual knowledge of what various TV manufacturer's support, or what you believe that is reasonable that they would support this capability? I ask because I looked into this a year ago and that is not what I found. Generally a TV is considered muli-system capable when it can support the multiple formats (e.g., PAL, NTSC). In Europe I believe most TV's are multi-system. However, for US distribution there at least were brands a year ago that purposely did not. Based on research and personal experience I found that the one's typically NOT supporting PAL were: - Panasonic - Samsung - Mitsubishi Those supporting both NTSC and PAL were: - Philips - LG - Sharp Some on the fence where some model appeared to support PAL while others did not were: - Sony - Visio It was never whether they could or not, but just whether they chose to or not. This is why I have always recommended when people want to support multi-region and PAL output that they NOT assume but verify their equipment from player to TV first. Especially, when many may be using sets a year or more old that they still consider current, but might still have issues based on my findings from just a year ago. Now I admit my information is a year old and things can obviously change in a year and so maybe your research and experience is more recent then mine. So for people considering this route, I have to ask, is your conclusion based on concrete data or speculation?

smithb said:
John Hermes said:
I certainly believe most will these days. You are right about Blu-ray. It is TV system non-dependent in regard to NTSC or PAL.
And you are basing this on actual knowledge of what various TV manufacturer's support, or what you believe that is reasonable that they would support this capability? I ask because I looked into this a year ago and that is not what I found. Generally a TV is considered muli-system capable when it can support the multiple formats (e.g., PAL, NTSC). In Europe I believe most TV's are multi-system. However, for US distribution there at least were brands a year ago that purposely did not. Based on research and personal experience I found that the one's typically NOT supporting PAL were: - Panasonic - Samsung - Mitsubishi Those supporting both NTSC and PAL were: - Philips - LG - Sharp Some on the fence where some model appeared to support PAL while others did not were: - Sony - Visio It was never whether they could or not, but just whether they chose to or not. This is why I have always recommended when people want to support multi-region and PAL output that they NOT assume but verify their equipment from player to TV first. Especially, when many may be using sets a year or more old that they still consider current, but might still have issues based on my findings from just a year ago. Now I admit my information is a year old and things can obviously change in a year and so maybe your research and experience is more recent then mine. So for people considering this route, I have to ask, is your conclusion based on concrete data or speculation?
The JVCs I seen (including mine) also support both. All the current (including my 4 1/2 year old Optoma) projectors do. In any event, it is easy to check out the specs before buying anything.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Is the OP in the UK? As others mentioned, just about all displays commonly sold there support NTSC/PAL. It is so expected there that it's hardly ever mentioned, it's just assumed. Not so in North America. But...in North America, most all-region BDPs and DVDPs here, certainly all that I've ever seen (I have several of each), will convert PAL to NTSC. Many people actually recommend doing that *at the player* if you have the option (I do have the option, and I don't lol). This display stuff is all irrelevant if the OP is in the UK, which I'm guessing he is from the amazon ref.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
CraigF said:
most all-region BDPs and DVDPs here, certainly all that I've ever seen (I have several of each), will convert PAL to NTSC.
Even that can get a bit tricky at times. For example, I have a Marantz player that supports multiple DVD regions but will only perform a PAL -> NTSC or NTSC -> PAL conversion using the component outputs, not the HDMI. Basically, the analog chipset they use supports this so they include it, but the digital chipset does not. No matter to me since my Sony projector support PAL, so I just have the player output the disks native fomat. That is something not listed in the specs when it was purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks