What's new

Sony BDP-S350 HDMI setup (1 Viewer)

cbrookhart

Agent
Real Name
Charlie
I have a Sony BDP-S350 blu-ray player. Right now, I have it hooked up via component since that is how the previous player was hooked up. I've ordered an HDMI cable, but now I am thinking that I might have to cancel this order because of how it needs to be setup.

I want to be able to get the video from the player to the TV and have the audio from the player go to a receiver (which I don't have yet). Since this player only has one HDMI connection in the back, does this mean that I am going to have to get some kind of an HDMI splitter and two HDMI cables?

With the previous DVD player that I had, the video was displayed through component and the audio was through digital optical.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Charlie,

No need to cancel the HDMI cable (unless it's a terribly expensive one).

As long as you don't have a receiver with HDMI-in, you can send the audio through optical to your current receiver as you do now (or to your TV set if you so wish, using the HDMI connection).

Then, when you do have the new receiver, you can either stream the audio through optical, or else connect the player to the receiver through an HDMI cable and send the image from the receiver to the TV using the HDMI-out on the new receiver.
You will need another HDMI cable in that situation.

Cees

cbrookhart

Agent
Real Name
Charlie
Cees,

I now see how it needs to be hooked up. For the time being, I'll just run the one cable that I will be getting from the player to the TV and leave the digital optical cable connected until I can upgrade the receiver.

I'm wondering though, if there is something in the setup of the player that I need to change, because the volume seems a bit low and sometimes sounds like stereo sound.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Charlie,

You will need to setup the audio section of the S350 properly. There is a section for the digital optical output to enable DD5.1 and DTS5.1 -- I think the default setting is PCM.

Albee213

Auditioning
Real Name
Albert
This would not be the best way to hook this unit up if you ever want the 7.1. That can only be used through the HDMI. If you reciever does not have 7.1 then it should not matter. The best way is to run the HDMI to the reciver and then the HDMI to the HDTV. I have a Sony STR-DG720 that is 7.1 but does not support the DolbyDigital-HD or DTS-HD. It will take PCM and I use the S350 to decode the signals and then run it PCM wich allows me to use the 7.1 HD Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn35
Recent bookmarks